As one of the world’s leading analytical instrumentation companies, Bruker covers a broad spectrum of advanced solutions in all fields of research and development. All our systems and instruments are designed to improve safety of products, accelerate time-to-market and support industries in successfully enhancing quality of life. We’ve been driving innovation in analytical instrumentation for 50 years now. Today, worldwide more than 6,000 employees are working on this permanent challenge, at over 70 locations on all continents.
Bruker Nano Surfaces FM business unit manufactures the world's leading 2 Photon Laser Scanning Florescence Microscopy microscope instrumentation for use in high resolution live cell imaging research.
This technical role is located in Madison, Wisconsin, and is responsible for complete system integration, testing and troubleshooting of all subassemblies and final systems to ensure compliance to all system specifications. As needed, this position will involve customer direct post-sale advanced instrumentation and application support including: installation, user and application training, instrument diagnostics/fix, and post-sale applications support.
Individual must have a strong technical background and be able to read/understand detailed test specifications, methods and procedures from blueprints, drawings and diagrams required to perform the set-up, operation and test of Laser Scanning Florescence Microscopy equipment. May complete rework on assemblies and/or systems as a result of testing. Prepares technical reports summarizing findings and recommending solutions to technical problems.
50% Final System assembly integration and test:
- System integration, testing and troubleshooting of all subassemblies and final systems to ensure compliance to all system specifications.
- Must be able to follow safety protocols.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work independently and within teams.
Must take ownership of the systems being tested to include:
- Identifying parts that do not align/fit correctly
- Cosmetic defects
- Identifying procedure errors
- Identifying test equipment that is damaged or does not work correctly through required tracking/build documentation in accordance with approved methods
- Must be able to make recommendations for solutions to technical problems.
- Strong and efficient problem-solving skills and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to apply engineering science and technology principles, procedures, and equipment to the production and service of goods.
- Able to interpret detailed engineering drawings, electronic schematics, and other specifications in order to address numerous abstract and concrete variables.
- Must be able to load system software, set up all system components and perform required test procedures.
- Use sophisticated programs to collect and evaluate data for performance by a variety of methods to ensure unit functions according to specification.
- Developing or modify alignment and testing procedures for the manufacturing process of all our laser scanning imaging systems.
- Assist production engineering in the planning, testing and documentation for manufacturing imaging systems.
- Use of hand held test equipment is required to include voltmeters and other specialized test equipment as required.
30% Assembly work:
- Combine optical components for production of laser scanning systems by assembling and aligning optical subassemblies.
- Perform custom fabrication and modification of mechanical and optical components as needed.
- Confer with Engineering to provide feedback on fabrication and assembly, transition prototypes into Manufacturing, and resolve functional problems.
20% Service activities including:
- Install and qualify BNS/FM standard and specialized instrument, upgrade, and/or accessory including but not limited to:
- Uncrating instrumentation and interconnection of sub-components and assemblies
- Instrument start-up troubleshooting
- Qualification of the instrument and accessories using standard and agreed to non-standard samples.
- Work directly with customers to diagnose BNS/FM instrument issues including but not limited to
- Diagnose, research, test, develop, optimize, communicate, and execute the most efficient solution plan for advanced complex electro mechanical hardware/software instrument issues.
- Create and maintain record of activity in support database
- Preventative maintenance on BNS/FM instrumentation which can include but not limited to:
- Basic maintenance and calibration of instrument and accessories
- Re-certification of system using both standard and non-standard samples
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to adhere to ANSI Standards for usage of lasers of FDA classifications I - IV.
- Customer focused, passionate about science and technology, and eager to enable customers with Bruker technology.
- Proven excellent analytical capability, theoretical understanding of physics, working knowledge of electronics, mechanics, control systems, computers, networking, and common tooling such as oscilloscope, multi-meter, etc.to be an effective problem solver of complex systems, product users, and/or application issues.
- Demonstrated ability to provide clear, logical, and effective verbal and written communication
- Exceptional ability to develop, communicate, implement, and execute assigned project including achieving required deliverables on time.
- Knowledge of software applications such as Word, Excel and Power Point to produce reports and graphs is required
- Proficiency in reading and interpreting mechanical, optical and electrical specifications using drawings and manuals
- Ability to lift, move, wire, reconfigure, and find customer solutions with ease.
- Occasional International travel to meet install and revenue requirements
- Up to 10% travel may be required at times to perform service activities on-site
- Associate’s degree or higher in Physics, Engineering, related technology or equivalent experience.
- 4-6 years’ experience in a related field and hands on experience with lamp pumped or diode pumped lasers is as plus. Exceptional candidates with less experience will be considered.
- Experience using test equipment such as oscilloscopes, multi-meters, signal generators and power meters is preferred.
- Familiarity with Lasers and/or microscopy a plus.
Bruker Corporation offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including medical, dental, 401(k), paid vacation, holidays, and tuition assistance (as applicable).
Bruker is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
Certain positions at Bruker require compliance with export control laws and as a result, all interviewed candidates for all positions will be screened pre-interview to determine their eligibility in light of export control restrictions.