Financial and Valuation Advisory (FVA)
Over the past 40 years, Houlihan Lokey has established one of the largest worldwide financial and valuation advisory practices. Our transaction expertise and leadership in the field of valuation inspire confidence in the financial executives, boards of directors, special committees, retained counsel, investors, and business owners we serve. In 2017, Thomson Reuters ranked us the No. 1 U.S. M&A fairness opinion advisor over the past 20 years.
Our stability, integrity, technical leadership, and global capabilities make us a trusted advisor for clients worldwide, across a wide range of services, including Transaction Opinions, Transaction Advisory Services, Corporate Valuation Advisory Services, Portfolio Valuation & Fund Advisory Services, Real Estate Valuation & Advisory Services, Dispute Resolution Consulting, and Tech+IP Advisory.
- Transaction Opinions & Valuation Advisory: Fairness Opinions, Solvency and other Capital Adequacy Opinions, Valuation Opinions
- Corporate Valuation Advisory Services: Purchase Price Allocation, Goodwill Impairment, Equity-Based Compensation, Fresh-Start Accounting, Tangible Asset Valuation, Due Diligence Services
- Portfolio Valuation & Fund Advisory: Fair Value Reporting, Derivatives Valuation & Risk Management, Investment Advisory Services
- Financial Consulting: Litigation Support & Financial Expert Opinions
Job Description (Portfolio Valuation Analyst)
Financial Analysts within our Portfolio Valuation & Advisory Services practice are fully integrated members of our engagement teams. You will work with a dedicated, highly talented staff of professionals who will give you broad exposure to many issues and concerns affecting businesses today.
We offer a unique opportunity to work on a wealth of projects that provide exposure to various financial and valuation advisory challenges, including the valuation of complex businesses, securities, and transaction structures. As a Financial Analyst, you will research and analyze financial markets data, financial statements, industry conditions and developments, acquisitions and divestitures, and various investment attributes of publicly traded and privately held securities. You will also have an opportunity to develop complex financial models, draft client deliverables, participate in presenting analyses and conclusions, interact with clients on active engagements, and participate in the firm’s marketing efforts.
Responsibilities (Portfolio Valuation Analyst)
- Supporting FVA portfolio valuation teams, which provide valuations of illiquid debt and equity securities held by hedge funds, private equity funds, and business development companies in connection with fair value reporting of the funds’ assets to investors;
- Performing financial statement analysis and other quantitative and qualitative assessments;
- Reviewing client investment memoranda, board of directors presentations, specific debt and equity agreements, and financial models to develop an understanding of the company or securities being analyzed;
- Compiling statistical summaries of companies’ financial information, developing and computing financial ratios, and presenting the analyses in an organized manner and/or using our standard formats and presentations;
- Reviewing and compiling published financial information, such as public company filings, press releases, reports from published research analysts, and Bloomberg data across a wide range of industries and sectors;
- Identifying relevant comparable public companies and M&A transactions within parameters established by FVA project teams, based upon information services such as S&P Capital IQ and Bloomberg, along with knowledge of the appropriate Standard Industrial Classification and other methods, as appropriate;
- Constructing and reviewing valuation and other financial analyses, including the guideline public companies, guideline precedent transactions, and discounted cash flow analyses, using Houlihan Lokey proprietary models;
- Researching and providing information on (a) general economic conditions, (b) industry-specific conditions and trends, (c) acquisitions and divestitures within specific industries, and (d) various investment attributes of publicly traded and privately held securities;
- Participating in telephonic and in-person due diligence meetings/discussions, communicating with clients and responding to auditor questions regarding valuation analyses prepared by Houlihan Lokey;
- Designing and drafting client deliverables;
- Assisting in the preparation of fee proposals to clients, including scoping discussions, pitch materials, and internal engagement pricing committee memoranda;
- Performing other ad-hoc research, analytics, and support for the FVA project teams as required;
- Coordinating with internal administrative support teams to prepare engagement invoices, working paper files, and other compliance/end-of-engagement close out procedures;
- Participating in discussions with in-house and outside legal counsel as required; and
- Assisting with marketing initiatives for prospective and existing clients.
Qualifications (Portfolio Valuation Analyst)
The environment at Houlihan Lokey is collegial and entrepreneurial and, as such, rewards staff with substantial responsibility and interaction with senior-level professionals and clients. The ideal candidate thinks strategically, is motivated, detail oriented, creative, outgoing, and possesses strong quantitative skills.
The Portfolio Valuation Financial Analyst will primarily support valuation professionals in the Portfolio Valuation & Advisory Services practice firm-wide, may occasionally be required to work on certain valuation engagements in other FVA services, and will gain broad exposure to a wide range of industries and situations.
The ideal candidate may have some of the following qualifications:
- Minimum of one year of work experience at an accounting or valuation firm in a valuation capacity
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or Applied Economics
- Strong analytical abilities
- Excellent understanding of financial statements analysis with the ability to work through key assumptions, implicit caveats, and limitations
- A fundamental understanding of financial valuation theory, methodologies, and applications
- Strong knowledge of Excel modeling, including integrated cash flow modeling
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with team members
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- An exceptional work ethic
- Big Four, Independent Valuation Consultants, and/or transaction advisory services experience is a plus
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V