Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Financial Analyst is responsible for overseeing a portfolio of department and program budgets. They will support those business units through the organizational budget process, providing guidance and analyses. They will also support the development team by creating donor financial reporting, and leadership through periodic financial reports and analyses.
Budgeting and Forecasting (40%)
- Provide guidance to budget managers in developing and maintaining department and program budgets and forecasts
- Support the organizational annual budgeting process
- Enforce budget policy
- Assist staff with budget questions and issues
Organizational Reporting and Analysis (30%)
- Oversee the distribution of monthly financial results for portfolio of departments and programs
- Review and analyze monthly financial results
- Complete transaction level reviews and reconciliation
- Prepare financial metrics and investment reports for leadership
- Other analyses as needed
Donor Budgeting and Reporting (20%)
- Produce grant and donor budgets, reports and analyses
- Run interim funding reports; analyze variances and flag discrepancies
- Work with internal departments to ensure compliance with grant restrictions and fulfillment of deliverables
- Liaison with development department on financial materials for external audiences
- Assist in coordinating state registrations and compliance, prepare compliance reports for split interest gift agreements and manage relationship with outside compliance vendors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting or Finance.
- At least three years of professional related experience in finance or accounting positions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of key accounting and budget principles as well as comprehensive experience with Excel is essential.
- Excellent communication skills are required, as is a strong partnership orientation and the ability to work cooperatively with different personalities and financial aptitudes across the organization.
- Process oriented with ability to see opportunities for improvement.
- Superior analytical and organizational skills are required, as are strong attention to detail, good recordkeeping, responsible time management, and the ability to juggle many projects and deadlines at once.
- Facility with technology, including leveraging financial systems for maximum benefit.
- Familiarity with report writer software is strongly preferred.
- Non-profit experience and a passion for the Earthjustice mission are preferred.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences..
No supervisory responsibilities at present
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $77,000 - $85,600
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits.
Interested candidates must submit the following via Jobvite:
- Cover Letter
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.