Duties & Responsibilities
The Athletics Department, the largest Division I athletic program in the nation, is a dynamic and fast-paced working environment which includes 42 intercollegiate athletic teams (with over 1,200 student-athletes), 63 Club sports (with over 2,000 participants), 35 House and 16 Freshman leagues/events (with over 2,500 participants and 1,500 contests) and recreation offerings in addition to management of four campus fitness centers (providing over 525,000 annual visits).
As Staff Accountant, you will perform multiple, diverse, and complex accounting and financial administrative duties for the Department. Typical duties include:
- Prepare and review financial data, providing research and analysis regarding variances;
- Prepare and distribute financial reports to both internal and external constituents;
- Assist in preparation of interim and annual financial reports for external constituents including the NCAA, Ivy League, U.S. Department of Education, and independent auditors;
- Assist in monthly, quarterly and annual closing process;
- Responsible for researching and processing corrective journals;
- Responsible for monthly reconciliation of various accounts, including but not limited to credit card accounts;
- Assist with the annual budgeting process which includes, and is not limited to, preparing financial modeling which will be used in the development of each individual department/sport budget;
- Act as a resource for alumni/ae fundraising groups on financial and budgetary inquiries;
- Identify operational challenges, process improvements, and propose solutions while documenting processes and best practices;
- May consolidate local budgets to facilitate upload process;
- May process or assist with processing payments of all vendor invoices and individual reimbursements; and
- May support weekly payroll process.
Associates degree in accounting or equivalent experience. At least 5 years of accounting or business work experience required.
Bachelor's degree in accounting is strongly preferred. Experience with report analysis and forecasting is strongly preferred. Must be detail-oriented, able to multi-task and work independently.
Harvard is a highly selective liberal arts college whose mission is to educate citizens and citizen-leaders for our society. The College is a residential institution of nearly 7,000 undergraduates and is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Harvard is deeply committed to the intellectual, social and personal transformation of its undergraduates during their four years at Harvard.
The Department of Athletics offers 42 varsity programs for men and women, more than any other Division I school in the United States. We also offer extensive recreational and intramural programs.
Harvard employees have access to a competitive benefits package that includes multiple options for the health and well-being of our employees as well as ongoing professional development.
All formal offers will be made by FAS Human Resources. We regret that, due to the number of responses we typically receive, we may be unable to respond to phone calls or contact personally those applicants not selected for an interview.
We actively seek and welcome applications from diverse candidates and from those with a demonstrable commitment to a more inclusive society.