Under general supervision and following established guidelines, performs key collection functions for assigned accounts. Optimizes cash flow by providing excellent investigative, problem solving and account reconciliation skills. Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills as this position interfaces with a wide range of external and internal customers.
- Strong customer focused orientation. Establishes and maintains positive relationships with customers both internal and external.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Monitors a specific portfolio of accounts and initiates action to facilitate on-time payment of invoices and to recover delinquent receivable.
- Collects relevant information that is needed to affect payment, including obtaining copies of invoices, proofs of delivery, credit memos, details from a DFR and on account payments.
- Customer contact (via phone and e-mail) regarding delinquent invoices, credit memos, invalid deductions, on account payments, customer disputes and terms discrepancies.
- Documents all customer collection contacts (both internal and external), specifically promises to pay, agreements and information requests.
- Consistent follow up to insure customer information requests have been satisfied and commitments have been met.
- Proficient in gaining access to and enter invoices for customers so we can obtain payment via a third party invoicing system.(example Arriba)
- Researches and resolves customer disputes and issues.
- Identifies and follows up on customer payment issues regarding terms of sale.
- Communicates with Sales regarding receivable issues that cannot be resolved through normal payables contacts.
- Escalate as needed to credit manager for direction if impasse is reached.
- Informs Manager of any issues impacting the corporate DSO and receivable delinquency objectives.
- Insures customer billing address and terms are accurately reflected in the Customer Master File.
- Prepares reports to reflect status of collection activity and key delinquency issues.
- Reconciliation of account balances including following up on unauthorized short payments as well as any over payments. (Unless being worked by Deductions team)
- Identify and reconcile sales tax deductions by either collecting these deductions or securing the required exemption certificate.
- Process credit card payments as required and be sure they are approved.
- Ability to develop strategy while engaging effective tactics for consistent acceptable results.
- Assist with the accurate application of any unidentified cash payments.
- General understanding of accounting as it relates to accounts receivable principles.
Order Review Responsibility
- Initiates appropriate credit action on those orders that have failed the credit checking review as guided by Veritiv Policies.
- Has basic understanding of credit, risk factors and D&B reports.
- Has ability to make judgments and release orders for multiple collectors based on manager's guidelines for over limit and past due situations.
- Contacts customer or has collector contact customer for payment information.
- Knows when to escalate to credit manager.
- Is skilled in handling and communicating to sales and customer when appropriately leveraging orders.
- Requests increased credit lines for customers who have exhibited timely payment patterns and have exceeded their established line of credit.
- Communicates negative payment trends and other critical customer issues to Sales and the Financial Analyst group.
- Communicates customer referral order issues with Credit management and Sales to affect resolutions in line with Corporate objectives.
- Ability to understand and interpret market factors and risk
Other Responsibilities /Skills
- Maintains effective communication and negotiation skills with external customers to effect collections while maintaining customer good will.
Qualifications / Knowledge & Experience:
- Requires strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates above average proficiency in PC applications, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and other applications as required.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize workload.
- Above average analytical and problem solving skills.
- Competency in use of order entry systems (VOS, MAX, CNT, VLS) for releases of held orders,
- Competency in of Oracle and or Navision.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Self motivated with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Five or more years of commercial credit experience. (4 year college degree may be substituted for 3 years experience)
- High school Diploma or equivalent.
- Working Conditions/Physical Requirement:
- The position requires the FSR to sit at a desk the majority of the day.
- It would be a rare exception to travel to a customer.
Veritiv is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Individuals seeking employment are considered without regards to race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status or any other classification protected by law. Additionally, Veritiv will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with Veritiv’s legal duty to furnish information. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf