Under the direction of the restaurant leadership team, A Hospitality Representative needs to provide excellent guest service following our service standards.
The Palm Restaurant is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality food, beverages, and personalized service in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Operational Excellence: In joining our team, you commit to supporting this mission by demonstrating our Service Standards at all times, and to holding all team members to the same. Providing a safe work environment of trust and respect free of harassment is expected.
Since 1926, when The Palm Restaurant first opened its doors in the heart of Manhattan, the company has been serving up legendary food and service. Today, The Palm operates multiple locations across the United States, all founded on one unchanging philosophy: treat guests like family, serve great food, and always exceed expectations. Owned and operated by members of the Bozzi and Ganzi families for over 90 years, The Palm serves as a second home for countless patrons, who have contributed to shaping its legacy born out of speakeasy roots – where menus were unnecessary and high energy a given – into an atmosphere seen nowhere else. The Palm prides itself on cultivating talent, diversity, and a strong work ethic.
A Palm Server is responsible for serving guests quickly, efficiently, and with complete knowledge of food and beverage menus. This role offers superior customer service, and maintains the station in a clean and orderly manner throughout shifts. Treating first time guests as if they have always been part of our family.
As a team member of the Palm Restaurant Group, a Server must embrace our “Core Purpose”, embody “The Palm’s Values” (Loyalty, Honesty, Quality, Team Work, Dedication, Results, Generosity, and Respect), recognize and satisfy all Palm Restaurant Guests as well as be accountable to the Owners, PMC (Palm Management Corp.), and Restaurant Managers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
All Palm Restaurant jobs require that you embody a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly and efficient service with a smile to Guests and team members at all times.
The following are intended as basic requirements. Success will come to the individual who is able to expand upon these job requirements and truly provide a memorable experience. These requirements/functions may change over the course of employment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following areas:
• Must love and take care of guests!
• Must have a passion for guest service.
• Must say “Yes”, “Thank you” and “Smile” often!
• Follows the process that provide first time guests with the same Palm experience than our most loyal repeat guests.
• Warmly greets and acknowledges guests.
• Engages with guests in a friendly and professional manner.
• Effectively merchandizes food and beverage menus in an informative, friendly and enthusiastic manner.
• Demonstrates attention to detail by accurately taking guest orders.
• Multitasks in order to serve the needs of various guests at the same time.
• Correctly and precisely calculates each guest check.
• Follow all Health Department regulations.
• Follows all safety and sanitation policies.
• Completes all assigned side work in a timely and satisfactory manner.
• Recognizes and anticipates all guests’ needs.
• Identify first time guests and treat them as part of the Palm family.
• Creates a lasting first and last impression.
• Uses swarm-service when serving all food items and clearing tables.
• Works together with fellow employees and management to ensure that all guests have the best Palm experience possible.
• Inform management of guests who are unhappy with service as quickly as possible.
• Attends all scheduled Staff Meetings unless otherwise approved by Manager.
• Ensure the security and safety of guests and employees through pro-actively managing sanitation, maintenance, security and prevention of injury from accidents.
• Correctly cashes out at the end of each shift, this includes accurately recording and distributing both cash and charge tips.
• Maintains a clean, neat, and well-groomed appearance.
• As a server, it is our expectation that you assume a role of a sales person with a commitment to upsell, increase check average, compete in sales incentives, drive marketing promotions & special events, and promote our brand.
• Enthusiastically supports decisions once they’ve been made by PMC and Management.
• Must be proficient with the different technology that are part of the operation including the POS system, Open Table and 837 Loyalty Club system.
• Must report to work on-time
• Must clock in at scheduled time and not before
• All work must be performed while on the clock.
• Must attend staff meetings and trainings unless approved by manager.
• Responsible to review schedule on the Employee portal for Scheduling System. Responsible to follow online procedures for shift changes, PTO requests, and other requests that impact the schedule.
• Performs additional responsibilities, although not detailed, as requested by the leadership team.
• Take direction from all salaried staff including, GM, AGM Restaurant Managers, Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef, and Sous Chefs.
• Periodically check the restroom for cleanliness and provide basic cleaning services throughout the shift.
• Following our service standards which requires having a positive attitude and the ability to work well under pressure with cooks, server assistant and other staff.
• Appropriate food and beverage knowledge
• Extensive knowledge of wine
• Knowledge of federal, state, and local liquor laws
• Must have a full understanding of our food and beverage menu, its ingredients, flavor profiles, portion sizes, and preparations methods.
• Ability to take direction and collaborate in a team environment
• Experience providing excellent guest service in a fast-paced environment, serving between 12-16 guests at a time.
• Ability to work in a high energy and demanding environment
• Ability to solve problems, and work calmly and effectively under pressure
• Highly motivated and demonstrates strong organizational skills
• Ability to stand and exert fast-paced mobility for entire shift
• Ability to transport up to 50 pounds on occasion and up to 35 pounds regularly
• Hours will vary on a weekly basis based on workload and deadlines.
• Have to be willing to work any days of the week; including nights, weekends and holidays or as agreed with management
• Ability to interact verbally and listen attentively to guest, co-workers, and supervisors
• Positive interpersonal skills
Education and Experience
High school education and prior experience in a fine dining restaurant.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is constantly required to walk and occasionally sit.
People & Team Skills: Must have sufficient self-confidence, poise, charisma, and interpersonal skills to be able to work effectively as part of a team and to take part in professional discussions. Also must be able to sustain performance under conditions of stress—such as tight deadlines and detailed questioning. Must demonstrate ability to be a team player and quick learner in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Professional Development and Advancement
A Server may be considered for advancement to a entry level management position in the company. In order to gain the experience and training necessary to be considered for advancement in the company, tasks of a Restaurant Manager may be assigned for development purposes.
Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.