- Ensuring safe daily operational readiness of the Shipyard.
- Obtain, review, and respond to “Good Catch” near miss/close-call submittals.
- Serve as the Production Department liaison for the Safety Department and Safety Leadership Team (SLT).
- Serve as a Production Point of Contact for all Shops (Managers/LMSs) as it applies to safety and fire prevention needs/requests.
- Serve as Production Point of Contact for all Superintendents regarding vessel production safety.
- Work with the safety department weekly to identify data trends or areas of improvement and then push out new policy/practices/awareness messaging to the workforce.
- Perform recordkeeping regarding production related training and compliance.
- Provide continual deck plate training on a daily/weekly basis regarding safe practices and CSI policies.
- Work directly with Management regarding compliance and continual improvement of safe practices.
- Assist Shops shipyard with maintaining safe workspaces.
- Conduct continual training and coaching of production leadership of engagement of safe practices and communications.
- Research and introduce new ideas to production for safe practices and equipment that is available.
- Coach and mentor apprentices and those within their first year at a shipyard on safe practices.
- Schedule production personnel and Maintain all databases for safety related training such as OSHA 10, respirator fit testing, MEWP, other safety/operations related certifications.
- Support the safety department by attending all incident investigations and Perform Root Cause analyses. Communicate the results to the field in a private but specific manner.
- Develop relationships and training opportunities with equipment vendors.
- Work with Sub Contract Superintendents regarding safety standards and compliance for employees.
- Coach all supervision on how to properly perform a JSA meeting.
- Develop or revamp a safety program that excites and influences production to perform their job safely.
- Work with VSRA and other Companies to build our program together and to ensure Colonna is leading the way and positively known in the ship repair community when it comes to safety.
- Assist Shops shipyard with maintaining safe workspaces by fixing them on the deck plate and not leaving until the work area is safe.
- Essentially be a liaison between safety and production in order to ensure a positive relationship, we are working as a team, and the desired culture shifts in the direction the Company chooses it to.
- Work with all safety advocates in the shops as needed.
- Educate employees about fire hazards and prevention techniques.
- Identify factors that increase risks from fire then develop & implement solutions to mitigate the risks.
- Inspect all worksites for fire prevention.
- Work with the local Fire Departments for communication and planning for fire emergencies.
- Ensure all equipment and personnel are trained to respond to any fire related incident.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Must be able to board ships.
- Must be all to work all shifts, weekends and overtime, as required / must be a steady, reliable worker.
- Must be able to enter and work in confined spaces with limited visibility.
- Previous shipyard and supervisory experience required.
- Must have the ability to climb up and down stairs and/or ladders of varying heights.
- Must be able to work outdoors under all weather conditions.
- Must have strong attention to detail.
- Must have strong organization and problem solving skills.
- Previous experience with Human Resources and employee relations desired.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word/Excel/Power Point).
- Must have Maritime OSHA certifications (5400 / 5410 / 521 / 30)
- EMT-B/First Aid/CPR Certifications preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in OSHA or other applicable safety field preferred.
- Previous experience conducting vessel and facility safety inspections desired.
- Must have basic mathematical and budgeting experience.
- Must be physically and medically qualified to wear required personal protective equipment.
- Must be able to interact and communicate with all types of personnel and possess good leadership skills.
- Must be able to comply with all Safety rules and regulations
All resumes are reviewed immediately for consideration.
Colonna’s Shipyard Inc. and our affiliates are pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE / M / F / DISABILITY / VET
These are our VALUES and the guidelines that make us a leader in our industry. We are pleased and confident in stating that our skilled employees are among the most respected experts in the ship repair industry