Fire Science Weekend Lab Assistant
Job Code: 1255
Department: Fire Science
Division: Health Professions
Reports to: Fire Science Coordinator
Positions Supervised: None
Location: Fire Science building or off-campus locations
Kansas City Kansas Community College (KCKCC) is currently searching for part-time lab assistant (weekends only) to assist faculty with providing a safe educational environment during weekend Fire Academy training days. This is a continuous position. Application materials for this position are accepted on an on-going basis. As openings become available, candidates will be selected from this posting for review.
- Assist faculty with set-up and tear down of lab training activities
- Assist faculty with demonstrating hands-on skills during training evolutions to include live fire scenarios
- Assist faculty with observing and documenting student performance during training activities
- Enforce all rules and regulations that govern student and staff practices at KCKCC
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Fire Science Coordinator or Dean of Health Professions
Minimum Qualifications and/or Education
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Five (5) years of experience working in the training field and fire department operations
- Certifications by International Fire Service Accreditation Congress as Instructor 1 and Firefighter 2
Preferred Qualifications and/or Education
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science or equivalent
- Certifications by International Fire Service Accreditation Congress as Officer 1
- Ten (10) or more years of experience working in the training field and fire department operations
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, talk, hear, walk, sit, and occasionally push or lift items weighting up to 100 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm on scheduled Fire Academy weekends (4-5 per semester). Individuals will not work more than 16 hours per scheduled weekend. Must be able to work a variable schedule/hour to meet operational needs of weekend trainings.
Pay grade level: N/A
Compensation: $22.00 per hour
Employee category: Staff
Position Type: Part-Time
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
- As openings become available, candidates may be selected from this POOL of applicants.
- Read the job announcement carefully noting the initial screening date, minimum qualifications, and required information. Note that information contained in your application materials will be used to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Make sure you complete/submit all the documents listed as required.
- If the position lists a required transcript (during the application process) unofficial transcripts may be submitted. However, please note that upon selection for hire, you will be required to submit official transcripts.
- Ensure that your transcripts show that a degree was awarded or conferred if you are stating that it is your highest level of education completed. If you certify your level of education and it cannot be verified from your transcript(s), your application may not be referred to the selection committee.
- Foreign degrees are acceptable provided they have been translated and/or shown to have equivalency to a United States: Associate, Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate level degree.
- Documentation verifying completion of a degree, course work within a discipline, or other educational criteria should be electronically attached (uploaded) to your application.
- Three (3) professional references with phone number and email addresses are required.
- A college selection committee is responsible for application review and interviews. The final candidate(s) selected to be hired will be made by the hiring manager.
- Successful completion of a background check on all persons recommended for employment is required Individual hiring departments may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process.
***This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.