What you will do
The Local Market Design Supervisor is responsible for leading a team of local designers and ensuring an approved code & spec compliant product is delivered on time, accurate and complete within the committed estimated cost.
How you will do it
· Primary focus of this role is quality management but performing design in order to maintain commitment dates maybe be necessary.
· This role will report to Area Design Manager
· This role will have local designers as direct reports
· Role is required to report to local office everyday
· Role is 60% project chargeable at minimum
· Ensure POJ dates are made on every project.
· Perform and Train on proper Site surveys.
· Perform and Train on Proper Safety Procedures & Equipment.
· Perform Quality Checks on Drawings
· Participate in pre-bid reviews and provided estimated design hours and mixrate
· Perform field checks and site visits as needed
· Manage subcontract design
· Manage local teams work load. Know when to reach out for help beyond your local team.
· When local team is at capacity and design sent out to team member outside the local market, it is the responsibility of the local market design supervisor to oversee this designer’s work and ensure tollgates are being met.
· Ensure projects are assigned to appropriate team members.
· Create relationships with local Sales and Install team.
· Participate in all Sales to Operations hand-off’s
· Design reviews, no drawing should go out that was not reviewed by Local design supervisor.
o Contracting projects 50 & 90%, pre-submittal, submittal comments, field drawings, stock lists, etc.
o Prime projects 90%, pre-submittal, submittal comments, field drawings, stock lists, etc.
· Ensure Install team is getting notification of tollgate reviews
o Tollgates 50 and 90% reviews, pre-submittal review, AHJ comment review, field check, stock list review, foreman pack install drawing review
· Communicate to Sales and Operations when project is booked informing sales to schedule turnover to team members.
· Know local codes & AHJ requirements in the jurisdiction’s your team works in.
· Create design WPR’s for project with design hours >160 and track progress during design.
· Manage commitment dates to ensure they are met, communicate to appropriate team members if commitment date is at risk of being missed.
· Provide Leadership/Training/Mentoring/Coaching to local designers
· Assist with recruitment and interviewing of possible design candidates
· Provide monthly forecast report to Install team (what projects, hours, mix rate)
· Maintain man loading for your team
· Manage mix rates to ensure we meet or better estimate.
· Review local team’s timesheets for accuracy and approved in design data base.
· Perform flow tests as needed
· Ensure there is a foreman drawing that has all pipe tags, elevations, and dimension highlighted
· Ensure designers are reviewing project changes during design phase and notifying our PM of impact.
· Ensure designers are updating design database daily
· Participate in WIP meetings if requested
· Provide awareness to Sales and Install team when there is an increase in scope or headcounts from original estimate.
· Participate in local industry associations.
· While the expectations outlined here are extensive it is by no means all-inclusive and could change to meet needs of the business.
What we look for
· 5+ years of experience in Fire Sprinkler Systems design.
· Proficient in MS Office, AutoCAD, and SprinkCAD or equal design software
· Hydraulic Calculations knowledge and understanding.
· Capable of supporting and mentoring team members on BIM 3D projects.
· Naviswork and Revit software knowledge and understanding.
· Proficient in interpreting and applying applicable local AHJ as well as NFPA standards and Building codes.
· Proficient in reading and interpreting construction documents.
· Must demonstrate ability to manage a team.
· Must able to work on a construction job site.
· NICET II or higher in Water-Based Systems
· NICET Level III in Water-Based Systems
· Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Drafting (AUTOCAD) preferred, or equivalent field experience.
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com/tomorrowneedsyou.