Reports to Firearms Laboratory Manager. Conducts Laboratory Examination responsibilities to include, but not limited to:
- Evaluations and test firing of various types of firearms.
- Performs moderately complex and complex analysis of submitted firearms and firearms related evidence that may include hazardous biological and chemical substances.
- Performs serial number restorations (firearms).
- Performs gunshot residue / distance determination examinations.
- Issues reports accurately reflecting the results of examinations.
- Provides expert testimony in the discipline of Firearms Identification.
- Participates in the Firearms Examiner Call-Out rotation.
- Conducts reviews of other examiners' cases (administrative and technical).
- Enters specimens into the Integrated Ballistics Identification System (IBIS), reviews correlation results, and verify possible leads.
- Participates in the training of new examiners.
- Provides technical assistance to police officers, the District Attorney's Office and other law enforcement personnel.
- May lead and monitor technical and support personnel, work assignments and job performances.
- Routine External Contacts:
- Law enforcement, prosecutors, defense attorneys, educators and peers during professional training or participation in accreditation or certification visits.
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Regular Full-time
Location: Houston, Texas
Agency: Institute of Forensic Sciences