This position will be responsible for designing and creating animations and illustrations for awesome games on a variety of platforms from concept to completion. This position will be a core member of the studio’s staff and a positive presence in the office. As this is a position for an experienced professional, there is an overall higher expectation that this candidate’s work will be outstanding, delivered in a timely fashion. Additionally, this person will be expected to take on greater responsibilities for the benefit of the Art Team and for the Company as a whole.
- Create conceptual art to define the overall “look and feel” of game characters and special effects
- Work with designers and the art director to create character animations and special effects
- Work with engineers and producers to develop top-quality new and enhanced games
- Follow project specifications to finish artwork on time and within requirements
- Maintain flexibility to assist with special projects, as needed
- Works with Marketing team to aid in development of packaging and other marketing materials
- Expected to contribute beyond Art tasks to the overall benefit of our games
- Assists with the art direction of outsourced assets as needed
- Accurately estimate the time it takes to complete tasks
Required Skills/Personal Requirements:
- Expert at Adobe Flash (illustration, animation, UI) and Adobe Photoshop (digital painting)
- Significant experience as an artist or animator in a high-tech environment is required
- Must be a highly skilled 2D illustrator who can draw things from the imagination
- Experience creating art and animation for games a must
- Ability to challenge one’s self to raise the bar on his/her own work and that of the company
- Must have an upbeat, positive attitude and enjoy working on a team
- Ability to work effectively and receive critiques from others on the Art team as well as Designers, Engineers and Producers
- Ability to stay organized, exhibit great follow-through, work within established procedures and file structures and with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in Illustrator, Painter, AfterEffects or other art/design-oriented programs is highly recommended
- 3D experience a plus, but not required
Education and/or Certifications:
- High school diploma, or equivalent, required.
- College degree in Art, Animation, Design, or related field preferred.
PopCap Games (www.popcap.com) is the worldwide leader in casual video games: fun, easy-to-learn, captivating games that appeal to everyone from age 6 to 106 and are available anytime, anywhere. Based in Seattle, Washington, PopCap was founded in 2000 and has a worldwide staff of more than 500 people in Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver, B.C., Dublin, Seoul, and Shanghai. Its games have been downloaded over 1.5 billion times by consumers worldwide, and its flagship title, Bejeweled, has sold more than 50 million units across all platforms. Constantly acclaimed by consumers and critics, PopCap’s games are played on the Web, social platforms, desktop computers, myriad mobile devices (cell phones, smartphones, PDAs, Pocket PCs, iPod, iPhone, iPad and more), popular game consoles (such as Xbox and DS), and in-flight entertainment systems. PopCap has been one of the most innovative companies in the video game industry since its inception a decade ago. Pioneering new game mechanics, sales models, and platforms ranging from mobile devices to online and location-based games of chance, PopCap is the only video game provider in the world with leading market share across the entire spectrum.