The Flash Engineer will work closely with Producers and Artists to make PopCap social game experiences shine on the Flash platform. The ideal candidate will be capable of owning the entire process of porting individual games to Flash. This work will include defining the proper technical design, implementing the game mechanic, and applying the necessary level of visual polish to meet PopCap’s uncompromising quality standard. This role will also play an active part in defining the overall Flash game development framework for the company.
- Collaborate with original IP creators, Producers, and Artists to create Flash versions of existing PopCap games that retain the feel and vision of the "Deluxe" downloadable version.
- Work with Producers, Artists, and Service Engineers on the PopCap social games team to implement new game designs that best serve social network audiences.
- Collaborate with Service Engineers to tie Flash based social experiences into PopCap’s backend services (profiles, leaderboards, tournaments, etc…).
- Provide technical consulting and relevant documentation for projects
- Provide technical direction to Junior Flash Engineers to help define the architectural approach that they will take to products that they are developing.
Required Experience and Skills
- 3+ years experience with Macromedia Flash Action Script 2 and/or 3
- 2+ years game development experience
- 1+ years using C/C++ in a win32 environment
- Solid understanding of Flash game design challenges (e.g. graphic optimization and bandwidth limitations)
- Self motivated individual that enjoys working on challenging problems as part of a cross-disciplinary team
- Detailed oriented approach to work with a basic understanding of game and interface design
- Love of games with a passion to bring them to the masses
Education and/or Certifications:
- High School Diploma is required.
- BA in Computer Science and/or related field and experience is preferred.
PopCap Games (www.popcap.com) is the worldwide leader in casual video games: fun, easy-to-learn, captivating games that appeal to everyone from age 6 to 106 and are available anytime, anywhere. Based in Seattle, Washington, PopCap was founded in 2000 and has a worldwide staff of more than 500 people in Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver, B.C., Dublin, Seoul, and Shanghai. Its games have been downloaded over 1.5 billion times by consumers worldwide, and its flagship title, Bejeweled, has sold more than 50 million units across all platforms. Constantly acclaimed by consumers and critics, PopCap’s games are played on the Web, social platforms, desktop computers, myriad mobile devices (cell phones, smartphones, PDAs, Pocket PCs, iPod, iPhone, iPad and more), popular game consoles (such as Xbox and DS), and in-flight entertainment systems. PopCap has been one of the most innovative companies in the video game industry since its inception a decade ago. Pioneering new game mechanics, sales models, and platforms ranging from mobile devices to online and location-based games of chance, PopCap is the only video game provider in the world with leading market share across the entire spectrum.