POSITION SUMMARY: The Fleet Maintenance Manager is responsible for the management of fleet equipment at one or more locations and managing a team(s) of technicians who are responsible for the preventive maintenance and repair of a fleet of up to 60 vehicles (diesel and alternative fuel)., Additional responsibilities could include maintenance of equipment and machinery at a post collection facility(ies), and management of a container shop(s). The Fleet Maintenance Manager is responsible for providing direction, either directly or indirectly, to a group of technicians to ensure that all repairs and maintenance to Republic Services’ equipment, including trucks, containers and other heavy duty equipment, are performed in compliance with the Company’s safety and maintenance standards, and in compliance with all federal and state regulations. The Fleet Maintenance Manager is responsible for planning and scheduling the repair work for his or her work group to ensure that all work is done in a safe and timely manner, reducing lost productivity within the shop.
- Provide direction to all technician levels, as well as the lead technicians, in the maintenance shop and may manage a Fleet Maintenance Supervisor in a satellite maintenance shop or on another shift, assigned to his or her work group to ensure that all repair and maintenance work is performed is a safe, efficient and timely manner. Oversee the planning and scheduling of all repair work to increase productivity, while effectively managing the department’s overtime. Monitor the shop’s operational performance and efficiency and take action to redirect activities as appropriate. Report to management on shop performance, and implement procedures for process or programmatic changes for improvement for efficiencies.
- Manage lead technicians and maintenance supervisor(s) in the maintenance shop, to include such responsibilities as overseeing daily shop huddles; fleet walks; coaching and counseling lead technician and maintenance supervisor(s) on performance and corrective action, when necessary; make hiring and termination decisions, in concert with Human Resources and appropriate management; oversee employee training and performance evaluation; evaluate, recommend and approve supervisor recommendations for merit increase, promotion and job change recommendations, as appropriate.
- Maintain an on-going preventive maintenance program for assigned locations. Identify trends in road calls, break downs; oversee maintenance of the building and other facility on site; control maintenance costs relating to personnel, purchasing, inventory control and outsourcing of repairs.
- Manage outside repair facilities and repairs to ensure all work is properly completed in accordance with the Company’s safety and compliance procedures, and federal and state regulations; follow up where appropriate. Identify training opportunities and, as necessary, document issues and constructively discusses corrective action, as needed, with maintenance supervisor.
- Conduct Quality Control Inspections, track issues and issue resolution to ensure all works is properly completed and is in accordance with the Company’s safety and compliance procedures, and federal and state regulations.
- Maintain advanced knowledge of engine, emission systems, transmission, brake, hydraulic and electrical systems to manage advanced preventive and repair maintenance functions of heavy equipment and vehicles used by the company, on site and on the road, including:
o Engine chassis repair and maintenance;
o Knowledge of vehicle body control systems, including hydraulics and electrical systems to manage the maintenance and repair the vehicles in a timely and safe manner;
o Knowledge of heating and air conditioning systems to manage diagnosis and repair of complex heating and cooling systems in the vehicles in a timely and safe manner; and
o Knowledge of welding tools to fix heavy equipment in a safe and efficient manner to ensure the equipment is back in an operable condition as quickly and as safely as possible.
o Manage related administrative matters for the team, including payroll, maintain employee records, maintain records of all preventive and corrective maintenance performed, ensure the appropriate recording of all information into Dossier Maintenance Software, prepare and submit the budget for approval, set departmental goals to align with the targets and performance objectives established by the division’s leadership team.
o May require local travel.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills and Microsoft Office
- Advanced Root Cause Problem Solving
- Effective and professional communications skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to anticipate business needs and plan accordingly to ensure that equipment, employee and fiscal resources are utilized in the most efficient manner
- High level of analytical skill to develop a range of possible solutions to address a wide range of issues
- Organizational skills
- Ability to collaborate and encourage employee engagement
- Good financial management and planning skills; ability to understand financial terms, budgets, tables and reports. Ability to develop realistic, comprehensive plans to make efficient use of resources.
- Associates and/ or Bachelor’s Degree.
- Automotive Service Excellence T2 Diesel Engine, T Master Certified. T3 Drive T4 Brake T5 Suspension and Steering.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as a Maintenance Supervisor in the transportation industry which requires a thorough knowledge and application of safe working practices including OSHA Haz Com, OSHA Lock Out Tag Out, OSHA Fire Safety and other federal and state regulations.