Title: Flow Cytometry Center Lab Manager
Job Location: Silver Spring, MD
Odyssey Systemsis seeking a Flow Cytometry Center Lab Manager to support the Malaria Vaccine Research program for the Malaria Vaccine Program at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research to work directly with the lab PI (Chief, Flow Cytometry Center, and MVB) and/or perform immunological testing of animal and human samples.
*** This is a forecasted position and it is contingent upon contract award. ***
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Ltd. is an innovative small business committed to providing world-class technical, management, and training support services to government and public sector clients. We focus on people, processes, and performance to deliver superior results. Since our inception in 1997, our commitment to mission success and customer satisfaction has been recognized with exponential growth and exceptional past performance ratings. We accept challenging assignments and drive projects from the planning stages, through implementation, and into operations and support.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Perform cellular assays such as flow cytometric assays, EliSpots, cytokine arrays, and assays that are currently under development in the laboratory on an as-needed basis.
- Perform functional assays (such as phagocytosis, ILSDA, motility assays, and an assay that is currently under development in the laboratory) to assess the biological activity of antibodies on an as-needed basis.
- Identify, adapt, and standardize methods for measuring humoral and cellular immune responses to malaria and malaria vaccines in an effort to identify immune correlates of protection. Tasks include:
- Identify, with the guidance by MMRP investigators, the need for new, improved readout methods;
- Determine whether a “de novo” development of the assay is needed (especially new flow cytometric panels characterizing lymphocyte subsets that may play a crucial role) or a suitable protocol, that is adaptable to the FCC, is available in the literature;
- Maintain current knowledge of novel readout methods by regularly attending seminars and conferences;
- Gain the skill of novel readout methods by taking courses and/or attending workshops that provide training on such methods;
- Perform rigorous testing of the new method and establish Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) to ensure that the quality of work is the highest caliber;
- Write and communicate research papers and review articles in scientific journals and present results and concepts at meetings/conferences;
- Maintain detailed records on experimentation and sample inventories (printed and computer files);
- Maintain the equipment of the FCC on a regular basis (once a month), perform daily quality control measurements and initiate corrective actions in case of instrument failures;
- Teach other investigators using the FCC equipment as well as assist in the teaching of institute-wide courses (such as the OCID, DLI, etc.);
- Assist during CHMI trials with assays that measure parasitemia in study subjects (such as the reading of Giemsa-stained blood smears);
- Maintain and operate Government-owned equipment (ELISA plate washers and readers, BIAcore affinity measurement equipment (such as the Attana), flow cytometers, cell counters, cell sorters, array reader, microfluidizer, fermentor, centrifuges, imaging systems, microscopes).
- Perform data analysis when instructed by the principal investigator.
- MS in biological life sciences discipline
- 2+ years of experience
- Ability to work on clinical samples for immunological evaluation; proficient in animal work (any manipulation related to immunization, malaria challenge); Hybridoma production for monoclonal antibodies; proficient in parasite culture techniques and parasitological readout methods.
- Knowledge of laboratory management, supplies ordering/procurement with training and use of the Defense Medical Logistics Standard Support (DMLSS), Electronic Centralized Acquisition Tool (ECAT), and Medical Master Catalog (MMC) systems, Design and validation parameters for ELISA assay development and testing.
- Desired training at Becton Dickinson and Miltenyi Biotec facilities for QC/QA of flow cytometers, Mesoscale array reader training by Mesoscale Diagnostics.
- Certified malaria microscopist and SharePoint administrator
- US Citizenship required
- National Agency Clearance and Inquiries (NACI)
- Travel may be required
Availability of positions is contingent upon contract award.
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, LTD. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by federal, state, and/or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment#LI-POST
- Retirement / Pension Plans
- Paid Holidays
- Maternity/Paternity Paid Leave
- Gym Memberships
- On Site Cafeteria
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vacation/paid time off
- Employee Events
- Professional Development
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Paid sick days
- Employee Referral Program
- Life Insurance
- Military Leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts