The Smithfield internship program offers students a paid opportunity to work in an environment that fosters real-life experiences, explores career options, and applies your education. You will become a part of key management meetings and participate in meaningful projects. Our goal is to provide a working environment that not only encourages creativity, but offers equality, diversity, mutual respect and productivity. Our summer internships are typically 10 weeks.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- You will have exposure and the opportunity to broaden your skills through impactful work, mentored relationships, and will gain real world exposure to different disciplines on Smithfield's Food Safety & Quality Assurance team.
- Work in both Food Safety and Quality Assurance departments to gain full perspective of how the departments function daily.
- Work with cross functional departments within the facility to gain understanding of how the departments support the plant and how QA/FS interacts with them. Departments include: R&D, Accounting, Safety, Operations, Scheduling, Maintenance and Industrial Engineering.
- Learn company specific paperless systems and assist in implementation and training of them.
- Gain knowledge of Fresh pork labeling and regulatory compliance, customer/ vendor approval process, and co-packer approval process.
- Learn and understand the Quality Management system for Smithfield.
- Achieve knowledge of our Technical Services team and functions within the organization.
- Learn the DCS system and become familiar with Product Quality Specs. Use this knowledge to assist in data migration to new specification systems for product quality and safety control.
- Create formal proposals and presentations to various levels of management.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Agribusiness, Meat Science, Food Science, Animal Science or related major.
- Must have completed your sophomore year in college.
- Must be in good academic standing.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience working with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Willingness to learn and work in a team environment.
- Proactive thinker and self-motivated.
- Strong time, project, and organizational management skills.
- The ability to work independently.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.