- Independently provides bench and lab related work activities to support the development of new products, product line extensions, duplications, product and process improvements and cost improvements. (60%)
- Monitors and analyzes the scale up, first production and quality assurance practices of the developed product through the commercialization process and identify areas for improvement to facilitate department operations. (25%)
- Identifies new sources and suppliers for raw materials in compliance with established quality assurance standards. (10%)
- Maintains laboratory, including upkeep of equipment, stocking of supplies and general cleaning of work areas. (5%)
- Assists with in-house and on site customer presentations as needed. Assist in training new hires, demonstrating lab safety, procedures and techniques. Assist customers and operations with technical issues that may arise.
- Performs other related and assigned duties as necessary.
- Up to 20% travel.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education and experience equivalent to:
Bachelor’s degree in food science, engineering, or related field of science from an accredited college or university
Master’s degree preferred
3 to 6 years of relevant work experience, with an understanding of food chemistry, food safety, and related regulations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of (B/basic; J/journey; E/expert):
- Food testing concepts and techniques (J)
- Product development (J)
- Food processing equipment (J)
- Raw materials/product interaction (J)
- Food safety concepts and techniques (J)
- Quality assurance concepts and techniques (J)
- HACCP programs and related food safety regulations and processes (J)
- International export and food regulations (J)
- Food chemistry (J)
- Food microbiology (J)
- PC word processing/spreadsheet software (J)
Skill and ability to:
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Apply working knowledge of mathematical concepts and scientific weights and measures. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Communicate and coordinate effectively with internal and external customers verbally and in writing (technical reports)
- Speak confidently and effectively before groups of customers or employees of GSF.
- Read and process written information with a high degree of accuracy
- Perform a variety of food safety tests including water activity, viscosity, sodium analysis, pH, moisture and total solids analysis
- Work in a laboratory environment
- Work effectively in a general business environment, with a focus on high levels of quality and customer service
- Act in accordance with GSF’s Values and Creed
- May assist in training or mentoring other technologists
- Manage customer accounts independently
- Productivity/quality standards: test methodology, accuracy and reliability
- Productivity/quality standards: accuracy, timeliness, thoroughness
- Productivity/quality standards: new product development
- Domestic and international regulatory compliance
- Cost containment
- Teamwork within the department and across departments
- Project/assignment standards
- Customer satisfaction
- Safety standards and procedures: food
- Safety standards and procedures: laboratory equipment and procedures