Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the World
Forensic Scientist 1 - Trainee (FS1T)
Forensic DNA Scientist 1 Trainee (FS1T)
The successful candidate will perform entry level DNA analysis on a wide range of complex samples in support of the Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory (AFDIL) in Dover, DE. The Forensic DNA Scientist 1 (FS1T) will be responsible for performing analysis of forensic evidence in accordance with laboratory accreditation and standard operating procedures. The FS1T is critical to successful laboratory operations and will be required to work collaboratively and productively with laboratory staff and management. The ability to prioritize job responsibilities in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a focus on excellent customer service is a must.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting in program maintenance and development at the direction of their designated supervisor.
- Supporting investigative studies on biological materials using DNA typing technologies.
- Supporting the logistical or resource management activities of the DNA Registry
- Participating in the organization and presentation of educational activities.
- Accessioning forensic evidence in the Laboratory Information Management System (LISA).
- Maintaining accurate and complete chain of custody for evidence.
- Entering data into LISA and the Armed Forces Medical Examiners Tracking System (AFMETS).
- Preparing correspondence/documents ensuring proper format, mathematical correctness, grammar, punctuation, and spelling, in preparation for or editing of recurring reports regarding case status and case tracking.
- Preparing reagents and maintain documentation of reagent prep and Quality Control testing in accordance with SOPs.
- Performing laboratory housekeeping activities such as preparing common laboratory reagents.
- Maintaining appropriate stock levels of expendable supplies and maintaining a clean environment within laboratory work areas.
- Assisting in casework involving nucDNA and mtDNA typing and profiling procedures.
- Supporting validation projects focusing on systems with increased sensitivity and discrimination power and advanced development of automated systems.
- Supporting research projects focusing on various research projects to include population data basing and working to increase sensitivity, discrimination power, and automated systems for casework applications.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Familiar with MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat
- A degree in forensic science or in physical or life sciences
- Cover letter along with resume must be submitted
- Must be a US Citizen
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.