Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories. Popular brands include Smithfield®, Eckrich®, Nathan’s Famous®, Farmland®, Armour®, Farmer John®, Kretschmar®, John Morrell®, Cook’s®, Gwaltney®, Carando®, Margherita®, Curly’s®, Healthy Ones®, Morliny®, Krakus®, and Berlinki®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
The General Laborer position performs a variety of tasks supporting the production of the company’s products in a food manufacturing environment. This position follows standard work methods, Good Manufacturing Practices, and safety procedures to ensure production is as safe and efficient as possible.
- Assist Packaging Operator in packaging line
- Participate in the job rotation plan for the assigned production line
- Assemble boxes and tape them to be ready to use
- Pack packaged product into boxes
- Seal boxes with tape gun, or taper machine, and place into pallet configuration
- Heat seal multi-wall bags and/or poly bags as these are filled with product
- Fill and tie bulk product into super sacks
- Pass poly bags, multi-wall bags, and boxes through metal detector
- Place poly bags into combo tote pallet configuration
- Place multi-wall bags into pallet configuration
- Sort plastics from corrugated boxes for recycling
- Sweep floors as needed
- Assist in maintaining plant clean as needed
- Follow GMP’s
- Other duties as assigned
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED), required.
- Knowledge and experience in Food Industry is a plus but not necessary
- Ability to work from written and/or verbal instructions
- Ability to use a utility knife safely that will be provided by the company
- Ability to learn while training with an experienced employee
- Ability to follow safety rules and requirements when working in dangerous areas or with powered equipment
- Ability to learn to accurately read and understand batch cards
- Ability to work as a team member while under training with experienced employee
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.