Are you an ambitious, multi-tasker who can solve problems in a fast-paced environment that loves BACON? Then join Smithfield Foods, a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer!For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
The Supply Chain team is looking for motivated professionals to facilitate the distribution of our great products to customers and consumers. These personnel can analyze production metrics against market needs in Supply & Demand Planning, focus on product transportation through Logistics, or ensure the shelves of your local grocery store are stocked by Direct Store Delivery.
The Freight Broker supports load planners and tenderers in the execution of shipments by sourcing 3rd Party transportation carriers to provide capacity and service. This position is responsible for analyzing data to make recommendations for reducing freight costs through knowledge of negotiating techniques, advance transportation costing, and carrier regulations.
- Works independently on business operations and rate negotiations for each load.
- Finds balance between cost savings and obtaining truck capacity in order to provide the required service.
- Ensures timely shipment of products to internal and external customers, while minimizing freight costs.
- Communicates between transportation carriers and load planners/tenderers to provide information on service issues and resolutions.
- Develops business relationships with third party carriers and coordinates with them to provide expected services.
- Develops strong business relationships with load planners/tenderers and provides recommendations of improving TL efficiency on single and multi-stop loads.
- Work closely with Appointment Scheduling to ensure timely delivery.
- Averages booking loads at agreed to load counts and margin savings goals.
- Searches for new carriers that bring value to the supply chain.
- Compliance with established goals and metrics.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Associate Degree from a regionally accredited two-year college and 2+ years’ of experience in Transportation, Logistics, or Customer Service; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferred.
- Basic knowledge of U.S. state and city geography is required.
- Knowledge of the transportation industry, transportation rate structures and current trends.
- SAP and TMS experience are a plus.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel and Word.
- Ability to work independently and navigate a complex organization.
- Strong planning, organizational, and execution skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits