Front End Application Architect
JOB PURPOSE: We are actively seeking a strong Sr. Application Architect who will work with our application development teams to architect industry leading applications which provides premium user experience. This role is both Architect / Mentor/ Development Lead to our development teams. This high-profile position within our organization is vital to continued success of the application development practice.
Incumbent applies expertise for the most complex digital projects interfacing across multiple departments, service centers, business unit customer bases, and/or dealers worldwide; apply the most advanced information technology to resolve their business systems needs and assist in establishing long-range digital strategies.
Based on recognized expertise, incumbent provides project leadership, advice, and counsel to IT personnel, management, customers and project teams on the most complex aspect of application development, system integration, and development methods
JOB DUTIES: This position reports to a Digtial Technology Manager. Responsibilities of this position is cross functional and requires strong collaborations with Product Owners, UX/CX architects/designers, development teams, platform architects as well as enterprise architects.
- Understand future direction of digital trends and recommend new technologies based upon business value drivers and return on investment; drives new technologies towards implementation and exploitation
- Establish overall application architecture vision and ensures specific components are appropriately designed and leveraged
- Defines systems, technical, and application architectures for new strategic initiatives; develops and maintains an architectural blueprint and evolutionary roadmap that defines and communicates the strategic direction for these architectures in support of business and technical strategies
- Define architecture standards and governance and also anticipate areas where architecture standards may need to be developed in-line with Caterpillar and industry standards.
- Direct the construction of architecture components (e.g., data architecture, application architecture, technical architecture).
- Work with business units, dealers, customers, partners and suppliers to translate business strategy into discrete requirements compatible with current technical architectures and understand the impact and changes in behavior needed to adopt or make changes in digital solutions.
- Develop the interdependencies between major applications/efforts.
- Guide feature development teams regarding Application architecture, technology components, UI guiding principles, system and application design, coding and design standards, best practices, and system performance and availability.
- Review the quality of designs and implementation of solutions implemented by the front-end developers/leads
- Mentor junior team members
- Provides deep expertise and oversight to team of developers who design and develop dealer/customer facing APIs as well as Digital Market Place.
- Provide deep expertise and oversight to team of technical consultants who assist in API integration with dealers/customer business system and corporate applications.
The position manages the completion of its own work assignments and coordinates work with others. The position normally works independently with minimal management input and review of end results.
Typical customers include Caterpillar customers, dealers, other external companies who uses application developed by Industry and Aftermarket division and/or supplies underlying technology components. The position is challenged to quickly and correctly identify problems that may not be obvious. The incumbent solves problems by determining the best course of action, within departmental guidelines, from many existing solutions. The incumbent sets priorities and establishes a work plan in order to complete broadly defined assignments and achieve desired results. The position participates in brainstorming sessions focused on developing new approaches to meeting quality goals in the measure(s) stated.
- Position requires a four year degree from an accredited college or university.
- 6 plus Software Engineering with strong focus on Application Design and Delivery
- Experience with working with Cloud Technology (e.g. Azure, AWS, etc)
Top Candidates will also have:
- Deep understanding of Application Architecture Design Patterns (MVC / MVM / MVVM)
- Ability to work with clients to understand detailed requirements and design complete end-to-end user experiences that meet our needs and vision.
- Extensive technical tools and framework experience encompassing a Full Stack Developer role.
- Implementation of BDD / TDD practices for solution delivery
- Demonstrated experience using scaled Agile Framework to develop Customer Facing Solutions.
- Expertise on DevOps – Continuous Integration / Delivery (Azure DevOps)
- Strong mentoring skills to assist delivery teams in being successful.
- Experienced in Performance and Security instrumentation and measurement of Applications.
- Progressive web app development experience
- Skilled on front end frameworks and libraries (Angular / React / Polymer / Vue)
- Full Stack Technologies (Front End – HTML 5, CSS, SASS, LESS and Web Components, Back End – Java, NodeJS, .NET)
- Testing environments, tools and frameworks knowledge (Solenoid, Selenium, Protractor, Jasmine, Karma)
- Working experience in conceptualizing, designing and building workflows in CMS systems like Drupal is a strong plus
- Experience with packaging tools like Webpack, npm and Nuget