This position is responsible for managing the entire patient experience in person and over the phone. This position will require scheduling patient appointments, verifying insurance coverage, data entry of patient information into an online system, registration, and checkout. This position will also require computer data entry, word processing and reporting on various patient indicators such as call volume, no shows, and productivity among other things. This position will also assist with medical records management and creation as required.
Reports to: Front Office Operations Manager
Department: Front Office
- High school diploma with 1-2 years related experience.
- Prefer candidate with previous experience in the medical field as a medical assistant, switchboard/call center/receptionist, medical records coordinator or insurance professional.
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred including Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Detail-oriented; able to work accurately and efficiently in a fast paced environment where multi-tasking is required.
- Must have strong time management and organization skills and self-discipline.
- Bilingual, articulate in conversational interpretation.
- Must possess the ability of positively interacting with patients, personnel, visitors and the general public.
- Must show discretion in the handling of confidential information.
- Must possess the ability to work independently, problem solve and make decisions when necessary.
- Computer literate in basic word processing applications and data entry.
- Friendly, reliable, and professional both in behavior and appearance.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, individuals seeking assistance and the general public.
Principle Responsibilities and Duties:
- Responsible for the accuracy and completeness of the data entry of patient information into the computer. This data entry includes various patient information, as well as relevant insurance.
- Efficiently schedules medical appointments of returning and new patients
- Maintains current knowledge of the time requirements of various categories of patient visits, preferences and work schedules of various physicians.
- Oversight of all patient/visitor activity; knowledge of reason and presence in clinic.
- Coordinates and schedules appointments for the deaf and hearing impaired.
- Makes patient reminder calls in a timely fashion.
- Maintains confidentiality of all Health Center information.
- Responsible for the creation, implementation, and management of standard operating procedures
- In accordance with established procedures, receives and forwards all incoming phone calls as appropriate (triage nurse, interpreters, outreach, or administrative departments, etc.) in a friendly manner.
- Perform computerized word processing or data processing.
- Prepare and provide reports as required to management and other staff.
- Track attention to patient/visitor needs and determine whether same are met in a timely fashion.
- Ensure that waiting area, front entry and reception desk are orderly and professional in appearance. Monitor safety and noise level in waiting area.
- Handle inquiries (regarding hours, location, programs, patient eligibility, etc.) in a professional manner.
- Refer acutely ill patients to nursing for triage in person or over the phone.
- Verify patient eligibility via Internet access Eligibility Data Service (EDS) as well as other systems. Complete required paperwork for intake process. Prepare and dispense appropriate forms to patients.
- Inquire of all patients as to any change in address, phone, financial or insurance status.
- Photocopy identity and income statements, check stubs, route patients with incomplete information to Front Office Operations Manager.
- Assist patients in filling out forms, review medical and intake forms for accuracy and completeness. Assist with interpretation and recruits other language interpreters as needed.
- Provide information to patients regarding entitlement policies and procedures under the supervision of the Front Office Operations Manager.
- Assist with scheduling and check out of patients.
- Maintain daily log of patient encounters.
- Provide daily report of new patient visits as required.
- Carry out other tasks as requested in situations where participation may be required.
- Maintain work area in a clean, organized and orderly fashion to facilitate interactions with other staff and to reflect well on the health center as viewed by the public.
- Maintain adequate supplies of necessary intake paperwork. Orders as appropriate.
- Perform data entry as required for patient intake process.
- Takes messages from callers as necessary, especially on behalf of the President/CEO or other management level staff.
- Facilitates general telephone operations.
- May assist patients or staff with bilingual interpretation as time permits.
- Assists staff in identifying/contacting external office support services.
- Provide customer support and assist in resolving issues presented by patients or identified within the organization.
- Assist with medical records management and creation as required.
- All other duties as required.
This position also requires the ability to use a computer, work at a computer workstation, viewing a CRT and have some knowledge of a keyboard. Requires rotation with other front office personnel with little or no notice and can be between facilities. In addition, you will be required to cover later clinic hours including weekends between any Caring Health Center locations. The following job description is subject to change and duties may be removed or added.