Classes will be offered to get the qualifications and requirements needed for this position.
JOB TITLE: BUS DRIVER
REPORTS TO: Director of Transportation
FLSA STATUS/CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt; Level 3
SUPERVISORY DUTIES: None
APPROVED ON: xx/xx/2014
SUMMARY: Ensures students and other official passengers are transported safely and efficiently to and from school and other school-related events (field trips, athletic events, etc.).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Transports passengers to and from school and other district sanctioned events
- Ensures that students are delivered to proper drop-off points. Determines that students are met by a designated parent or guardian
- Demonstrates and explains emergency evacuation procedures to passengers in accordance with Transportation Safety Training
- Maintains daily mileage and route logs
- Updates route maps and directions
- Obeys all traffic laws and observes all mandatory safety regulations for school buses
- Performs as a substitute bus driver
- Conducts a daily pre-trip safety inspection of the vehicle. Outside inspection to include tires, wheels, fluid leaks/levels, windshield, mirrors, warning system, exhaust system and emergency exits. Inside inspection to include cleanliness, instruments and controls, gauges, warning lights emergency equipment
- Cleans and sweeps bus interior; Fuels bus; Reports all defects or non-operational findings
- Communicates with teachers, principal, monitors and other officials
- Maintains order and discipline of students and other passengers on bus per prescribed policies, prepares conduct reports
- Operates wheelchair lift, and loads and unloads and safely secures passengers confined to wheelchairs,
- Monitors the activities of Transportation (Bus) Monitors as they relate to their actions with students and the public
- Utilize mandatory seating charts required by DPS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to operate a standard or automatic transmission motor vehicle and foot controls with two feet simultaneously.
- Ability to use two-way communication equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with staff, students, parents and community members.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal and State laws, district procedures and Board policies.
- Ability to handle confrontation and conflict without an emotional response.
- Stress management skills
- Time management skills
- Knowledge of towns and streets
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
Education & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent; 2 years driving experience
- Arizona Class B Driver’s License with air brake, passenger and school bus endorsements
- Arizona School Bus Driver Certification
- Any equivalent combination of training, education and experience that meets minimum requirements
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification required
- 5 refresher course every two years as required by DPS
- Maintains a clean driving record
- IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card
- CDL Class B license required with a P and S Endorsement
Computer Proficiency: none
PHYSICAL DEMANDSThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb, sit, stand, bend, walk and operate hand and foot controls simultaneously. The employee would be required to pass the physical performance test as required by DPS.
Indoors and outdoors, with exposure to all weather conditions and temperatures. Exposure to all types of traffic conditions. Exposure to noise, dust, gas, and fumes. The noise level in the work environment is generally moderate and may become excessively noisy at times. Contact with employees, students and the public.
Disclaimer:The duties and responsibilities identified in this position description are illustrative only and are in no way intended to be a complete list of activities that may be required of an incumbent. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.