Under the direct supervision of the Director of Pharmacy, the Pharmacy Technician has primary responsibility in stocking daily anesthesia drug boxes, unit dose packaging and maintenance of floor stock, and maintaining appropriate records and charges; assisting in related activities as directed by Director of Pharmacy or CNO in Director’s absence.
- High school graduate.
- Must have mathematical ability to calculate dosages and amounts required.
- Certification preferred
- Makes rounds and delivers labeled medications, controlled substances and pharmaceutical supplies.
- Monitors the accurate documentation on the Controlled Substances Administration Log on the patient care areas.
- Answers telephone and provides information as requested or refers questions to appropriate personnel.
- Interprets physicians’ orders and enters into the computer system.
- Generates labels and fills drug orders according to physicians’ orders.
- Refills medication carts with accuracy and exchanges medication cubicles as per schedule.
- Responsible for unit-dose packaging the bulk
- medications into unit of use, and accurate documentation of the function.
- Fills drug replacement orders to various departments accurately and maintains par levels.
- Returns drug credits to pharmacy stock.
- Assists in processing discharges and issuing credit, if necessary on all returned drugs.
- Stocks shelves and notes any drugs that will be expiring or in need of ordering.
- Assists with the initiation, development, maintenance, and execution of rules and regulations pertaining to the professional policies set by the Pharmacy Department.
- Assists in keeping all work areas clean, neat, and orderly.
- Attains/maintains knowledge of the pharmacy computer system from the standpoint of a user of the system.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.