Position: Full-time Substitute Teacher
Term: Full-time/9 Months
Qualifications: Bachelors Degree, required; Valid MO Teaching Certification, required
Reports to: Director of Educational Support/Human Resources, Building Principal
The role of the Full-time Substitute Teacher is to fill in for absences across the District to promote continuity of instruction while the regular Teacher is absent. The individual fulfilling this role will be assigned to a building based on the needs across the District.
- Supports the mission of Joplin Schools.
- Supports the value of education.
- Become familiar with, enforce, and follow all applicable Board policies and regulations, administrative procedures, other directions given by district administrators and supervisors, and state and federal laws.
- Properly supervise students at all times, if applicable to essential job functions.
- Obey all safety rules, including rules protecting the safety and welfare of students.
- Care for, properly use, and protect school property.
- Maintain courteous and professional relationships with students, parents/guardians, other district employees and the public.
- Communicate effectively with supervisors, department staff, all members of the school district, and community as required.
- Provides excellence in customer service both internally and externally.
- Complies with privacy rights and safeguards confidential and/or sensitive information pertaining to staff and students.
- Reacts to change productively and receive and transmit constructive criticism as it relates to job duties.
- Actively participate in professional development and obtain skills and information necessary to effectively perform job duties.
- Conduct all official business in a professional and timely manner, utilizing district technology resources.
- Arrive to work and leave work at the time specified by supervisors and attend all required meetings pertinent to the position.
- Maintains accurate records and filing systems for accountability and audit purposes as required by law and Board policy.
- Solve practical problems utilizing math functions as needed to complete job duties.
- Read and interpret documents such as work orders, safety rules, and handbooks and apply to job duties.
- Report to assigned building as directed by Administration. Must notify Administration if unavailable.
- Supervise students at all times.
- Assumes the responsibility for instructing classes when a teacher is absent.
- Precisely follow all lesson plans provided by the teacher.
- Read, understand, and implement any special instructions left by the teacher regarding student needs, daily schedule, and other duties (recess, lunch, bus, etc.).
- Assumes all other responsibilities for that teacher during the time the teacher is absent.
- Prepares lesson plans with assistance when lesson plans are not available.
- Maintains appropriate records including grading test papers, recording grades, student assignments for homework, projects and the necessary clerical work required in the absence of the classroom teacher.
- Provides for individualized and small group instruction for students as indicated by the lesson plan.
- Organizes classroom to promote learning.
- Manages student behavior constructively.
- Carry out all other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand or sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception. The employee must be able to lift 25 pounds.
Regular and consistent attendance is an essential function of this position.
The work conditions and environment described here are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Conditions and Environment
The individual who holds this position will regularly work in a school environment that is noisy and active. Occasionally the individual will be required to work outdoors for short periods of time to perform such tasks as loading and unloading students from district transportation and supervising recess.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.