A special mission college within the Massachusetts state university system
Position: Director of Operations & Maintenance
Posting: October 2020 Start Date: 15 January 2021
Position Number: FY21-03
Application Deadline: 14 November 2020
Union affiliation: Association of Professional Administrators (APA)
Supervision received: Reports to the Vice President of Operations
Supervision exercised: Supervises subordinate professional, classified, and student personnel
in area of expertise
General responsibilities: The Director is responsible for providing a physical environment that enables the Academy to conduct its teaching, operations and educational mission. The Director oversees campus operations and maintenance services and capital projects including planning, execution and implementation of best practices for all aspects of campus academic and residential facilities; specifically, all buildings and grounds, utilities, facility operations/energy management systems in order to provide a safe, healthy and comfortable environment for students, faculty and staff. She/he will work on a daily basis as part of a cohesive and influential team in collaboration with the Directors, Managers, and Staff overseeing capital programs, campus engineering, and maintenance functions and all associated reporting requirements. She/he also interacts with campus leaders, communicating timely and accurate data regarding campus conditions and work status.
The Director is responsible for ensuring that operations and maintenance programs and tasks are properly authorized and funded, environmentally sound and completed on time and in a cost-effective manner. She/he is responsible for ensuring that all capital programs, new and on-going building systems and MEP specifications are developed and implemented consistent with Academy efficiency and sustainability standards and in accordance with workplace and regulatory safety standards, rules and regulations.
The Director is responsible for the scheduling and supervision of maintenance and repair activities, contracted services, custodial services and ensuring the physical operations of the Academy meets budgetary and strategic objectives.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering major or in a field related to organizing and leading a program of maintaining facilities.
- At least five years of experience in construction and/or property management, with a minimum of three years in a supervisory capacity.
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills and the ability to supervise and motivate union trade personnel.
- Demonstrate knowledge of construction codes, health and safety regulations, financial and management practices, purchasing, and state and local regulations regarding the maintenance of buildings and equipment.
- Possess a working knowledge of the construction trades, construction methods and techniques, and a working knowledge of the Massachusetts State Building and Fire Codes.
- Knowledge and experience in formulating, applying for and securing of regulatory permits from federal, state, and local agencies.
- Training and experience in the management of the custodial trades, outside contractors and others in the proper assignment of duties as it affects facilities operations.
- Experience with the latest Internet of Things applications to facility management (such as CMMS, BMS, CAFM, etc.) and experience of successful implementations.
- Certification in an associated professional organization.
- Preferred experience with DCAMM and MSCBA.
Salary: $110,000-$125,000 The Academy offers generous benefits policies and a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. This position is exempt under FLSA.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, a resume, an MMA application, Affirmative Action form, and the contact information of five (5) professional references. These forms are located on the employment opportunities link under Human Resources on the MMA website www.maritime.edu.  ; Application materials may be attached and sent electronically to email@example.com. Alternatively, you may send your application materials by USPS to: Human Resources, Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 101 Academy Drive, Buzzards Bay, MA 02532. Finalist must complete a pre-employment drug screening and background check.
Massachusetts Maritime Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, women and veterans to apply.