PerBlue is looking for an experienced, enthusiastic Systems/Features Game Designer to join our team. We’re a growing independent studio whose free-to-play mid-core mobile games have been played by millions of people around the world, including our award winning Disney Heroes: Battle Mode game. Our cross-functional and collaborative team brings experience from some of the largest studios in the industry.
This position can either be based at our headquarters in Madison, WI or remotely.
What’s this position about?
Our Game Designer works with Product Owners (aka Executive Producers) and other stakeholders to understand requirements for new game systems and features and then works closely with a small cross-functional production team to create specs and design systems that bring these goals to life.
As the ideal candidate, you’ll have 2+ years of experience as a game designer working on live, post-college free-to-play mobile strategy/RPG games. We’ll also consider similar experience with live games for MMO or other free-to-play platforms.
As a collaborative, analytical, and proactive leader, you thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have a willingness to embrace design iteration. You’re also a passionate gamer who understands the RPG and strategy genres overall, and the free-to-play mobile aspects of these genres in particular. You already have a significant impact on the games on which you work.
- Create detailed specifications for new features, scalable game systems, and in-game rewards.
- Develop comprehensive wireframes and userflows that depict game features visually and describe interactions between their elements.
- Ensure that games mechanics, systems and economies meet product goals around engagement, retention, and monetization.
- Closely monitor, analyze, and respond to gameplay data and user feedback on your designs through their entire lifecycle, from development to testing to live in game.
Requirements and Qualifications
- 2+ years of working as a game designer in a development studio
- Mobile, free to play, and/or MMO game experience preferred
- Focus on systems and feature design required
- RPG and/or strategy genre experience preferred
- Experience in UI/UX, hero, systems, and/or feature design with some combination of--
- Writing complex design specs and seeing them through development to live in game
- Creating numerical designs and modeling their impact on game balance/economy
- Monetization strategy for free-to-play game systems
- Experience with effectively communicating with producers, artists, developers, QA, and management.
- Ability to understand big picture product goals and business objectives, while having a meticulous attention to detail along the way.
Details & Perks
We offer 6+ weeks of paid vacation and health, dental, and vision insurance as well as a well-matched 401k. Madison-based employees enjoy a catered lunch program, well-stocked kitchen, and a refrigerator full of liquid refreshments. Membership to our local hackerspace Sector67, with regular socials, is also a benefit. You'll be part of an energetic and collaborative environment, and work with a great team. We have flexible hours and are based in a vibrant neighborhood in beautiful downtown Madison.
Our team hails from some of the best-known studios in the industry. We’ve been named a “Top Developer” by Google, and a “Best Place to Work” by several publications.
Compensation is competitive and based on experience.
We regret that we cannot consider visa sponsorship or non USA-based applicants for this position at this time.