Gardener I - Facilities Management
Carnegie Mellon University’s Facilities Management and Campus Services (FMCS) is searching for a Gardener I. This is an exciting opportunity if you thrive in an interesting work environment. Reporting to the Grounds Supervisor, you will contribute to the department in a variety of interesting ways, such as preparing and applying designated fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides for treatment of plant, shrub, tree, and lawn conditions. You will also requisition job parts and supplies.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Performing the following grounds maintenance functions:
- Soil preparation
- Leaf and trash cleanup and removal
- Preparing campus athletic fields and other designated grounds for event use;
- Mows grass using a variety of equipment including tractor mounted or rotary mowers and towed gang mowers;
- Operating trucks and other automotive equipment with attachments for plowing snow, sweeping, landscaping, and other various grounds and pavement maintenance tasks; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within FMCS. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- High school diploma or equivalent, trade school or equivalent level course work in ornamental horticulture, college level ornamental horticultural course work is required;
- Minimum two years working with a commercial grounds maintenance/landscape operation, Five years of experience preferred;
- PDA pesticide technician or applicator certification preferred;
- Working knowledge of accepted landscape maintenance techniques. Familiarity with plant materials is essential;
- Ability to operate various types of landscape equipment preferred - tractor LBH, forklifts, etc.;
- Technical knowledge of accepted horticulture maintenance techniques with tree climbing skills in accordance with I.S.A. standards is preferred;
- Full range of body motion needed;
- Ability to move and work in confined spaces, up and down ladders and to work from ladders;
- Ability to lift 40 pounds from ground to overhead;
- Operate on and off road vehicles in support of assigned work.
• Background check
• Valid PA driver's license
• Fitness for duty assessment and pre-employment medical exam
• Pre-employment drug and alcohol screen
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.https://www.cmu.edu/fmsAdministrative SupportUnited States-Pennsylvania-PittsburghFull Timetrue