PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The General Manager is responsible for providing outstanding leadership to the restaurant team. In addition, the General Manager is responsible for achieving targeted results related to exceptional guest service, sales growth, profitability, people development, management of quality/service/cleanliness standards, facility maintenance, and local store marketing.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Effectively communicates budget variances.
- Communicates financial goals to the management team and employees and provides direction to achieve those goals.
- Uses proper planning and formulates realistic goals for achieving budgeted financial results.
- Executes proper security and cash handling and control procedures and hold managers and cashiers accountable to adhering to policies and procedures.
- Performs or delegates daily and weekly inventories accurately and timely.
- Performs accurate end-of-period inventories.
- Places food, produce, paper, and supply orders in a timely manner to ensure proper levels are maintained at all times.
- Consistently maintains labor, food and supplies costs within budget.
- Utilizes and maintains all reporting and tracking systems for financial results. (Menulink)
- Maintains high level of integrity in all financial reporting.
- Provides clear direction and leadership to all managers and employees during each shift.
- Serves as a role model to all employees and managers by setting the example and maintaining professionalism in the restaurant.
- Promotes an "Open Door Policy" in the restaurant and is accessible to all employees.
- Interviews hourly employee candidates and makes hiring decisions.
- Conducts new hire orientation and on-boarding.
- Submits hourly employee new hire paperwork, New Hire/Change Forms, Termination Notification Forms, and bi-weekly payroll spreadsheets to Payroll and/or Human Resources in a timely manner.
- Ensures that systems, materials and people are in place to provide for quality employee training. Utilizes the company specific hourly training programs.
- Minimizes employee turnover by:
- Hiring candidates who possess pre-designed characteristics and have a good work history;
- Being personally involved in the orientation and training of all new employees;
- Providing a positive work environment for all employees;
- Identifying and addressing employee issues in a timely manner.
- Provides clear goals and expectations to the management team through ongoing communications and weekly meetings.
- Prepares and executes monthly management schedules that ensure proper management coverage to execute quality operations.
- Assists the Director of Operations with interviewing management candidates as requested.
- Conducts shadow management and related training programs for Managers-In-Training as assigned.
- Develops managers to operate a shift at or above Company standards through ongoing training and coaching.
- Conducts monthly safety training for all management and hourly employees and forwards acknowledgement forms to Human Resources in a timely manner.
- Sets professional development goals for each manager assigned to restaurant and conducts performance appraisals on an annual basis and intermittently as needed.
- Coaches, counsels, and properly documents performance, attendance, or behavioral issues encountered with management and hourly employees.
- Maintains proper employee staffing levels in the restaurant at all times.
- Reviews and approves hourly employee performance appraisals.
- Reviews and approves hourly employee performance counseling and terminations.
- Operates the restaurant with uncompromising integrity and superior credibility, adhering at all times to Schlotzsky's policies and procedures.
Quality, Service and Cleanliness
• Maintains all areas of the restaurant at or above all cleanliness standards or delegates responsibility to managers who are properly trained.
• Executes or delegates the completion of QSC Sales Drivers, Ready for Business, Restroom, and Bakery checklists each shift.
• Holds managers and employees accountable for compliance with uniform and grooming standards at all times.
• Ensures that all standards and procedures for recipes and food quality are consistently met.
• Ensures proper sanitation procedures are adhered to at all times.
• Maintains positive relationship with local health and sanitation officials and follows up immediately on any issues.
• Monitors and holds managers and employees accountable for established speed of service standards in the restaurant and drive-thru.
• Performs quarterly full QSC audit on the restaurant.
• Ensures that guests are treated in a courteous and friendly manner.
• Follows up on all guest issues and ensures that they are resolved in a professional and timely manner.
• Executes dining room management functions and guest interaction throughout shifts and holds managers accountable for doing the same.
• Operates restaurant in a manner that displays an uncompromising attitude toward guest satisfaction.
• Maintains equipment in proper working order.
• Ensures smallwares supplies are adequate for execution of operations.
• Ensures that needed equipment and facility repairs are taken care of in a timely manner.
• Performs or delegates preventive equipment maintenance on a timely and consistent basis.
• Executes restaurant upgrades and enhancements as directed by Director of Operations.
• Ensures that managers and employees adhere to safety and security measures consistent with Company standards.
• Executes all national and Company-sponsored marketing events and promotions.
• Attends and actively participates in local LAG meetings and events.
• Is aware of and participates in local community and civic events.
• Maintains involvement in local chamber of commerce, charities and civic organizations.
• Budgets, submits and executes a quarterly local store marketing plan for restaurant.
• Promotes internal marketing through suggestive selling, sampling and positive guest interaction.
Attendance and Reliability
- Consistently arrives at work on time.
- Schedules time off in advance in accordance with Company policy.
- Adheres to Company's attendance guidelines.
- Delegates responsibilities when absent from work.
General and Physical Requirements
- Majority of job responsibilities must be performed standing or walking during typical 10-hour shift.
- Frequently walks in and around the restaurant to interact with employees and monitor customer satisfaction.
- Frequent bending, stooping, reaching, pushing and lifting.
- Uses a keyboard on a daily basis to enter information into a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be capable of performing any duty of any employee while training or while covering staffing needs.
- Must have transportation to make bank deposits, deliver orders, or run errands as needed; driving record must be acceptable.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.