General Manager Job Description
Mahoney’s is a Massachusetts-based family-run home and garden center with seven retail locations and a growing facility. As a full-service garden center, Mahoney’s is dedicated to providing the highest quality and largest selection of garden plants, gardening products, and gardening services. Mahoney’s offers top-quality plants and supplies to satisfy the needs of home gardeners and landscape professionals.
The General Manager is responsible for implementing Company strategies and operational objectives through the effective direction and management of resources as well as setting store strategies consistent with established Company-wide strategies, with a focus on helping to achieve long-term Company goals.
Essential Functions of the Job:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Overseeing retail store operational processes and/or program management, which includes dotted-line or matrixed management.
· Managing retail staff teams, setting direction and deploying resources
· Achieving store revenue targets, customer satisfaction targets, and safety targets
· Partnering with Product Management, Merchandising, Growing and Administration to streamline garden center operational processes successful to the growing industry and to the region.
· Managing and controlling store product inventory
· Ensure that each customer receives outstanding customer service by providing a customer friendly environment which includes maintaining outstanding standards, solid product knowledge and all other components of customer service.
· Analyze and measure business trends; develop and implement plans to maximize sales and meet or exceed goals and objectives.
· Control shrink, expenses and payroll.
· Ensure appropriate merchandise stock levels, merchandise adjacencies and presentations; signing, and assortment in all departments; ensure selling floor is adequately stocked.
· Review department/store trends and recommend and initiate changes for maximizing goals and objectives.
· Ensure compliance with all policies and procedures through regular staff meetings, store walk-through and audits, etc.
· Continually evaluate and react to performance issues and actively recruit store personnel candidates.
· Train and develop store management in all aspects of the business; direct and monitor training and development for all store personnel.
Education and Experience:
· Associates Degree in Agricultural Science, Horticulture, Retail Management, Business Management, or related work experience equivalent.
· One-two years supervisory experience in a seasonal retail business, preferably in a growing, agriculture, garden shop, or horticulture operations
· At least 5 years of experience in retail store.
· Demonstrated success to influence and negotiate cross-functionally
· Fully developed business knowledge and understanding of garden center marketplace and customers
· Solid garden product management experience.
· At least six to eight months of experience in crop growing operations
· Demonstrated proficiency in Growing industry’s product development and management,
· Demonstrated proficiency in quality control, preferably in the Growing industry
· Proficient knowledge of crop growing technologies.
· Demonstrated experience in assisting with greenhouse production
1. Financial Management.
2. Ethical Conduct.
4. Customer Focus.
5. Learning Orientation.
6. Performance Management.
8. Communication Proficiency.
This job operates in a retail environment with merchandise displays and items available for purchase in inventory.
This position requires some travel between stores.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full time position. This position regularly requires long hours and frequent weekend work. Excellent growth potential and benefits, including PTO (Paid Time Off) and health/dental and benefit eligibility.
At Mahoney’s Garden Center we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all team members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. Mahoney’s Garden Center hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the position to be filled.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.