IHOP General Manager Job Description
The General Manager directs the operation of an assigned unit by performing the duties outlined below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
These include the following:
- Develop and maintain professional functional working relationships with IHOP restaurant hourly employees, Corporate and Regional employees, and guests.
- Implement the IHOP 201 Training program for all restaurant hourly employees to improve unit operations and the guest experience.
- Execute annual financial, local restaurant marketing, guest service, and human resource objectives, strategies and tactics for assigned unit as defined by the current Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and current operations plan.
- Manage the restaurant floor and focus on regular contact with guests. Maintain the frequency of guest complaints within acceptable limits and handle complaints in a professional and timely manner.
- Comply with federal, state, and local regulations that are applicable to the assigned unit.
- Recruit, train and retain employees as defined by the current SOP and operations plan for the assigned unit. Maintain turnover within acceptable limits. Conduct ongoing coaching and administer the restaurant hourly compensation plan. Assure performance appraisals and that merit increases (if applicable) are given as scheduled. Properly document performance problems. Communicate and enforce policies on 1) sexual harassment, 2) discrimination, and 3) diversity. Maintain crew member appearance and uniform standards.
- Ensure food is in compliance with SOP in the areas of specifications, recipes, plating, and garnishes. Ensure food is presented well and served at appropriate temperatures, within standard ticket times.
- Ensure adequate levels of food, paper, kitchen, safety, janitorial, uniform, linen, and miscellaneous supplies. Set and adhere to pars. Order food on a timely basis. Keep inventory to a minimum with no out-of-stock items.
- Ensure the proper operational condition of equipment, building structure, and premises according to federal regulations and SOP. Keep appliances and equipment well maintained. Keep smallwares, glassware, and china adequately stocked. Maintain the interior and exterior appearance of the restaurant.
- Ensure sanitation practices are maintained according to federal, state, and local regulations and SOP. Ensure that food is properly stored (labeled, dated, and rotated) and proper temperatures are maintained. Enforce and monitor a deep cleaning schedule. Train employees on proper personal hygiene and food handling.
- Develop and maintain a safety program in the restaurant that incorporates a safety committee, safety meetings, and information on the use of safety tools and procedures. Keep the frequency of accidents within acceptable limits.
- Ensure security practices as defined by SOP. Keep the back door of the restaurant and the doors to the office locked at all times. Control guest checks and follow proper register/cash-handling procedures.
- Implement national and local marketing promotions, including the use of the correct
- Point of Purchase (POP), posters, and placemats. Keep menus clean and in good condition.
- Complete all required reports and paperwork. Handle paperwork accurately and on a timely basis. Maintain personnel files with appropriate employment and legal documents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Directly supervise Assistant Manager, Crew Chief and restaurant hourly employees at assigned unit. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the Company unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.