Our goal at Elkay is to inspire everyday – customers, employees…and the employees of tomorrow. We focus on doing the right thing so we can be in business forever. Our values-driven culture emphasizes investing in people and treating them like part of the family. We’re financially-stable and privately-owned with a solid reputation for ethics, integrity, giving back, and providing an engaging, inclusive environment where careers flourish and grow. Our people are proud to work for Elkay.
And the feeling is mutual – because it’s Elkay’s people who really give us our edge. We empower our employees to take the lead in delivering Elkay’s exceptional customer experience. Our commitment to our people and their professional development is a recipe for success that has fueled our growth from a three-person shop in 1920 to one of today’s leading international suppliers of plumbing, water delivery and branded commercial interiors. If you’re ready for a new career challenge where everything you do will make a difference, talk to us about joining the Elkay family.
GENERAL MANAGER/PRESIDENT, DIGNEY YORK
Recently acquired by Elkay, Digney York Associates, based out of the Washington D.C. metro area, is an outstanding full-service, industry-leading interior renovation specialist (general contractor) serving hospitality clients nationwide for over 30 years with an excellent record of delivering quality work on time and at great value. Digney York is now part of Elkay’s very strong and growing Interior Systems business, which services the hospitality, education and retail sectors (www.elkayinteriorsystems.com).
The General Manager/President will develop, mentor, and continue to strengthen the team to grow the revenue, market penetration, and profitability of the Digney York Associates (DYA) organization. Own the Digney York P&L. Plan, direct and optimize utilization of enterprise-wide assets, including leveraging the human, economic and material capabilities of the U.S. parent company. Work closely with corporate leadership, providing guidance to management relating to the different functional areas of the company and take preventive or corrective actions through a continuous monitoring of ongoing activities. Align operations to corporate standards and corporate strategy. Assist in ensuring growth is sustained and expansion plans are executed.
Specific duties include:
- Drive compliance to the strategic direction as defined by Elkay and the overall Commercial and Interiors division within Elkay.
- Direct the development and preparation of both short and long-term plans and budgets based upon corporate objectives. Ensure resource activities are effectively aligned to achieve objectives. Assist the Elkay management team in achieving financial management world-class standards.
- Evaluate the team functions around project management/construction services and ensure a fully staffed, appropriately trained and qualified team is in place to meet the company’s financial objectives.
- Work collaboratively with leadership team and Elkay partners (HR, Finance, Risk, Marketing, IT) to ensure strategic revenue targets are met and operating income is achieved. Find/develop potential programs that increase the scope of services by leveraging other Elkay businesses (water delivery, millwork manufacturing, interior design, etc.) while not negatively impacting the successful business of hospitality renovation services.
- Maintain strong, open working relationships with customers and vendors, outside services, and governmental agencies as applicable.
- Inspire and encourage teams within the DYA organization to adhere to Elkay corporate values. Create a culture of team, quality and continuous improvement while simultaneously serving as a thought leader and effective coach and mentor to team members. Instill in the leadership team and individual leaders the criticality of taking accountability and delivering business results. Make sound and timely decisions to advance initiatives when the leadership team expresses conflicting viewpoints. Create a performance mindset and establish meaningful opportunities and “stretch” assignments to those that meet performance goals. Create an open transparent environment built on the importance of all functions - disciplines working together to deliver the desired performance.
- Drive operational excellence within the DYA teams through partnerships with corporate HR by sponsoring employee development initiatives and addressing talent gaps.
- Maintain open and consistent communications with corporate leadership to keep them abreast of significant issues and operating results. Design, implement and maintain the policies, procedures and controls, which will promote and ensure that communication/information is disseminated internally and externally consistent with corporate policies and values.
- Delegate portions of above activities, responsibilities and authorities as required to subordinates and insure that the responsibility, authority and accountability of direct subordinates is clearly defined, understood and carried out.
- Insure that operating activities are carried out in compliance with local, state and federal regulations governing business operations. Assure appropriate compliance with governmental regulations and statutes.
- A bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Operations or related field required. A master’s degree is preferred.
- 10 plus years of related business, operations, or sales senior leadership experience, with a minimum of 5 years leading and developing operations, sales or account management teams required. Prior P&L experience required.
- Previous responsibility as a senior leader/business manager, within the general contractor/construction business is required. Hospitality/hotel experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading an employee operation and sales force on a national scale, successfully developing and implementing business strategies required.
- Demonstrated experience building and growing strong customer relationships on a national scale with measurable revenue growth required.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound and timely decisions grounded in knowledge of the business, industry and economic environment is paramount. Many circumstances will require that decisions be made with incomplete information and the ideal candidate will have a high degree of comfort working under such conditions.
- Ability to influence directly and indirectly and navigate a complex organization is imperative along with an ability to understand and communicate the “big picture” and the details comprising that picture essential.
- Must be skilled in the areas of project-based operation services and have a willingness to travel at least 50% of the time, both inside and outside the US as needed.
- Strong project management skills coupled with financial and business acumen are essential.
- Must possess executive presence and gravitas to quickly gain credibility and instill a culture where our highly experienced, high performance professionals act with a sense of empowerment and share a common understanding of organization goals and philosophy.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to provide clear and concise information to the customers and the ability to communicate customer requirements, issues and/or problems internally essential.