Position PurposeTo maintain an efficient, profitable and professional food and beverage operation by ensuring quality food and hospitality standards. To coordinate food, beverage and hospitality operations and to maintain a balance of cooperation between hotel, banquet, restaurant and kitchen.
Average % of time
- 40%Responsible for the financial success of Grille 26 Restaurantin terms of budgeting, monitoring and controlling cost centers such as Labor, Food, L B W, and General and Administrative.
- 25%Working in the dining room, kitchen and bar areas hands-on to support a team of employees who are working together to carry out our standards of quality in food, drink and service. To position Grille 26 to be one of the best restaurant and bar experiences for our guest in our restaurant market.
- 20%Responsible for the continued growth of Grille 26 from sales building and local Marketing efforts in the community.
- 15%Working with your management team to help them develop the following management skills:
- Cost Controls Ability
- Scheduling Skills
- Project Completion and Urgency
- Employee Development
- Goal Setting
- Time Management
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees will be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the food and beverage operation.
Staffing and Personnel FunctionsIn addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following:
- Uphold and abide by the policies in the employee handbook or property associate handbook and management policy addendum for WR Hospitality. Follow these policies, rules and regulations for the safe and effective overall operation.
- Maintain hands on approach to working with your staff to include coaching and counselling. Offer praise for those times when someone is doing the right thing and immediately correct employees when improvement is necessary. Document through Hot Schedules
- Serve as a role model for managers and staff in terms of:
- CREATE AND MAINTAIN A POSITIVE WORK ENVIRONMENT THROUGH TEAM BUILDING.
- TAKE A HANDS ON APPROACH WHEN WORKING WITH AND DIRECTING YOUR STAFF
- Approve all prospective restaurant personnel.
- Maintain the proper interview techniques, procedures and process for all managers. Assure that our employee profiles are being utilized and our most current interview and selection tools are being used.
- Conduct initial orientation for all new employees.
- Keep all training materials current and accurate
- Supervise, conduct and coordinate all training programs. Assure Minervasway is being utilized as one of the main ground works for training.
- Teach and monitor training procedures, skills and performance standards to managers and team leaders. Assure that all management staff and team leaders are properly using them.
- Develop and maintain a Pro-active workman comp program to insure the safety and well being of our employees. Assure a First Report of Injury form is completed in the event an employee is hurt. Assure that all five Worker's Comp forms get filled out and sent in per standard.
- Assure staff is in proper uniform.
- Establish wage and pay guidelines. Monitor all raise requests and submit to Regional Manager.
- Supervise and monitor all employee schedules.
- Carry out employee written evaluations after the first 90 days of employment and annually thereafter.
- Maintain hands on approach to working with your staff to include coaching and counselling.
- Be able to coach employees either on –the spot or privately one- on – one. Counsel or conduct proper discipline procedures with employees.
- Terminate employees if necessary using the three strike policy when possible. Insure your entire management team understands and knows our company termination policy. Complete a separation notice when termination occurs
- Follow all state and federal labor and employment laws. Do hire anyone under the age of sixteen to work on our property. ( see Regional Mgr for any state specific exemption )
- Assure all schedules are written and costed according to budgeted sales and budgeted labor dollars before posting them in a timely manner for the following week.
- Maintain the following management and team leader job structure. If anyone of these management positions is unfilled, you are responsible to ensure that position's duties are being performed.
- Chef / Kitchen Manager
- Sous Chef
- Kitchen Shift supervisor
- Banquet Sous Chef
- Dining Room Manager
- Assistant Dining Room Manager
- Lead Host
- Catering Manager
- Banquet Manager
- You will schedule and conduct weekly Managers meetings to discuss sales, cost/profit, staffing, weekly manager projects and other operational information and to get management feedback.
- You must plan, write up, present and hold yourself and your team accountable to their own set of projects and goals for the restaurant.
- You must plan, write up, present and hold your managers accountable to their own set of short and long term goals.
- Delegate responsibilities to all managers appropriately. Hold one on one meeting's with your managers when necessary.
- Discuss any management staff problems with your Regional Manager.
- Present all staff raises to Regional Manager for approval.
- Recommended management raises must be presented to your Regional Manager.
- Maintain at least 6 day 50 to 55-hour minimum management schedule. You have the flexibility to set your own hours. You have a responsibility to yourself and to your restaurant and its staff. You are expected to work as many hours as necessary to accomplish the job.
- Ensure all managers have completed the Sexual Harassment Training and that your restaurant has a " harassment free" environment.
- Assure proper, appropriate and timely communication between all managers and all departments, especially during operations.
- Maintain a daily manager's log for front and back of house.
- Monitor manager and staff vacations, hours and days off according to policies.
- Ensure that all management vacation days are being accounted for and that the proper paper work is being filed and is current.
- Insure the proper opening and closing of the restaurant per opening and closing checklists in all areas, dining room, kitchen and banquet areas.
- Respond to any guest comments or unsatisfactory reports
Accounting / Cost Control Responsibilities
- Assist Regional Manager in annual budget process.
- Assist, monitor and direct monthly food and bar inventories.
- Monthly inventories are to be completed and sent to the main office by the fifth of the month.
- Assure daily sales and labor costs are calculated daily and labor costs are distributed to your management team no later than 2:00 PM each day.
- Maintain your budgeted labor cost of ___%
- Maintain your budgeted food cost of ___%
- Maintain your budgeted liquor cost of ___%
- Maintain your budgeted beer cost of ___%
- Maintain your budgeted wine cost of ____%
- Assure there is a tracking process for the properties top 20 non Food & Beverage Expense Accounts. Review and adjust monthly spending to stay within budget.
- Insure accounts payable invoices are accurate, coded and sent to the main office each Friday no later than 2:00 PM. or are posted daily.
- You are responsible and accountable for all restaurant banks, revenues and monies. You are responsible for restaurant sales revenues being securely deposited.
- Our goal is for all actual office work to be delegated. Only your follow up is desirable, as your time spent with staff is your best time spent.
- Ensure that all food and bar recipes are being updated and followed accordingly.
- Ensure proper timely preparation and delivery of food and bar product.
- Ensure our feature program is being utilized and followed.
- Ensure that our companys US Foods purchasing program is being followed and utilized and that correct ordering procedures are being followed.
- Ensure only approved suppliers are being used.
- Ensure inventory transfer sheets are completed.
- Ensure all supplies and product is being received properly.
- Order liquor, beer and wine.
- Order all china, glassware, bar, kitchen and paper supplies.
- Know and maintain proper Health Department standards and codes.
- Develop a daily, weekly and monthly maintenance program for all departments. Especially for kitchen equipment and HVAC units. Participate in the HVAC Qtrly inspections
- Maintain all equipment in good clean working condition.
- Maintain the building in good repair and cleanliness.
- You are responsible to understand your restaurant's market and to develop an annual marketing plan. Utilize our Marketing Department and your Regional Manager
- You and your supervisor will make marketing projections.
- Maintain current sales building efforts and develop future on going sales building plans through staff through personal recommendations and suggestive sales techniques.
- Develop an in house sales and marketing plan.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIESThe individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent inter-personal and sales related experience.
- Exceptional organizational and supervisory skills.
- Knowledge of food and beverage menus, food preparation and presentation.
- Ability to act independently with minimal or no supervision.
- Ability to communicate customer needs and resolve complaints independently.
- Must possess basic computational ability.
- Must possess computer skills, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to establish and master goals.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their comparable state and local laws (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA.
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental systems.
- Must be able to walk and stand up to 10 hours per day. Walking and standing are required most of the working day. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to reach other departments of the restaurant, kitchen and bar on a timely basis.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and other employees.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
- Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, restaurant point of sale, dish carts, equipment carts and other office equipment as needed.
EducationHigh school or equivalent education required. Bachelor's Degree preferred.
ExperiencePast restaurant management of at least two years, office and kitchen experience preferred.
Licenses or CertificatesState requirements
GroomingBusiness like attire is required (slacks, shirt and tie) as well as maintaining a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance. Friday and Saturday nights tend to be more formal.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.