The General Manager (GM) functions as the professional-in-charge of the specific asset(s) under management. As the lead professional, the GM is responsible for all aspects of client and tenant satisfaction. Of specific importance is achieving stated financial results (NOI and cashflow) and operating objectives (leasing, capital improvements, system enhancements, tenant satisfaction, operating expense control, etc.).
The GM is responsible for working directly with the client to ensure a thorough understanding of its investment objectives and the development of acceptable property-specific strategic plans and operating and capital budgets. Once developed, the GM must oversee the implementation of approved initiatives and programs by managing and coordinating the efforts of the property team (e.g. leasing specialists, vendors, contractors, and building employees).
The GM is responsible for the management, supervision, and professional development of all building personnel (e.g., Chief Engineer and engineering staff, Property Administrator, etc.). Additionally, the GM is responsible for representing COMPANY in the local and regional business and real estate community in order to promote COMPANY’s reputation and capabilities to prospective tenants and clients.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develops, gains consensus for, and implements the Management Plan for assigned assets.
- Establishes written goals and objectives for employees directly reporting to the role of general manager. Conducts periodic formal and informal performance evaluations. Develops training program and career path for property employees. Assures succession planning.
- Prepares the final budget and all supporting documentation (i.e., explanatory notes.) Plans and administers budget for the office building(s).
- Inspects facilities and equipment to determine extent of service and equipment required. Recommends, justifies, develops and coordinates projects that enhance the value of the office buildings.
- Works with Chief Engineer to assign employees to duties such as maintenance, repair, or renovation and obtains bids for additional work from outside contractors, pursuant to client and COMPANY guidelines. Reviews construction specifications or plans, obtaining advice from the Chief Engineer, Operating Engineers and/or engineering consultants.
- Supports Leasing team in the preparation of lease and/or rental agreements and is responsible for lease administration process. Upon execution of the Lease, GM assists the Project Manager (if applicable) in the tenant construction coordination process, prepares the set-up of accounting information to collect specified rents and develops lease abstracts. Maintains intimate knowledge of lease agreements; ensures compliance from an accounting standpoint and acts upon from an operations point of view.
- Works with Client Accounting Services (CAS) in Westmont to manage the accounting process and is responsible for on-site bookkeeping functions and collection process. Oversees the development and revision of written accounting procedures for the office buildings aimed toward an appropriate level of control for cash receipts and deposits.
- Assist CAS in the development of written policies and procedures for tenant rent collections and extension of credit terms to tenants within client parameters. Participates in second level collection discussions and writes default letters consistent with obligations and rights within the Lease. Reviews account aging reports to ascertain status of collections and balances outstanding and to evaluate effectiveness of current collection policies and procedures. With approval from the client, submits tenant accounts to attorney or agency for collection. Assists with eviction of tenants in compliance with court order and directions from specified attorney and client.
- Prepares and/or reviews adjustments to tenant billing process, including calculation of CPI increases escalations, recoveries, CAM reconciliations, and special charges, etc.
- Arranges for alterations to, or maintenance, upkeep, or reconditioning of facilities as specified in the operating budget, management plan and/or management services agreement and of leased premises as dictated by lessee's agreement.
- Employs or contracts for onsite management and engineering personnel, as delineated within the operating budget, management plan and/or management services agreement. Submits hiring recommendations to Group Manager for approval.
- Competitively bids and prepares all service contracts to assure high quality and cost effective services. Assembles and analyzes contract bids, and submits bids, recommendations and standard form contract agreement to Vice President for execution. Acts as primary contact for service contractors and vendors. Participates in group bid process as appropriate.
- Maintains role as secondary contact for tenants relative to tenant service requests. Proactively meets with tenant representatives on scheduled basis. Communicates regularly with the Property Administrator, providing necessary support and information to this primary tenant contact.
- Approves purchases of supplies and equipment for use at managed office buildings.
- Prepares financial reports for client on monthly, quarterly and annual basis complying with requirements in management services agreement, with copy to the Group Manager. The financial report will include a status update of the building to include occupancy rates and critical lease dates. Analyzes financial statements to project future financial position and budget requirements.
- Prepares periodic inventory of building contents and property condition, and forwards listing to client for review.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES for all General Manager roles include:
- Inspects all properties on a regular basis to ensure building operations are performing according to COMPANY standards and procedures.
- Manages the development, by the Property Administrator, of the Quality Tenant Service ("QTS") program.
- Implements QTS program at assigned buildings.
- Prepares annual submissions for the COMPANY Property Awards Program and industry awards (e.g., BOMA TOBY award.)
- Directs the development, revision and implementation of property manuals and on-line systems.
- Ensure that emergency evacuation procedures are in place and life safety systems are operating effectively and that 4-Sight is kept updated on a regular basis.
- Coordinates response to more complicated tenant service requests and assures follow-up. Responds to lease-related concerns.
- Establishes, communicates and manages the tenant move-in/move-out process to minimize disruption to established tenants.
- Assists Chief Engineer in meeting the assigned criteria within the Operations Audit. Assures compliance with Management Audit with the assistance of the Property Administrator. Assures compliance with COMPANY policies, procedures and standard practices.
- Assists the Property Administrator in the preparation of office equipment leases and maintenance agreements.
- Assures that appropriate insurance requirements are in place for all properties.
- Participates in regional and national property management initiatives.