Bain & Company is a global consultancy that helps the world’s most ambitious change makers define the future. Across 59 offices in 37 countries, we work alongside our clients as one team with a shared ambition to achieve extraordinary results, outperform the competition and redefine industries. We complement our tailored, integrated expertise with a vibrant ecosystem of digital innovators to deliver better, faster and more enduring outcomes. Our 10-year commitment to invest over $1 billion in pro bono services brings our talent, expertise and insight to organizations tackling today’s urgent challenges in education, racial and social equity, economic development and the environment. Since our founding in 1973, we have measured our success by the success of our clients. We proudly maintain the highest level of client advocacy in the industry, and our clients have outperformed the stock market 4-to-1.
WHO YOU’LL WORK WITH
Bain has teamed with CEPRES, an industry leading private equity data and analytics firm, to develop a co-branded SaaS product named DealEdge. The product delivers analyses of private market deals, designed around general consulting use cases.
WHERE YOU’LL FIT WITHIN THE TEAM
This is an opportunity to be a key leader in Bain’s expanding proprietary data business, with ultimate responsibility for building and running the Private Equity Data Business, featuring DealEdge as the flagship solution in a product suite that delivers analyses of private market deals. The General Manager will be responsible for building a commercially successful global data business covering core sectors across all regions. A significant portion of the General Manager’s focus will be on commercial activities and s/he will have full P&L responsibility. The General Manager will ensure overall product success – tracked across various dimensions – and manage stakeholder relationships and communications with internal Bain stakeholder group.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Lead selling and serving activities to grow DealEdge and the Private Equity Data Product Suite into a profitable business for Bain & Company
- Manage stakeholder relationships and communications with Bain Partner group; establish clear roles and decision rights upfront;
- Engage prospective clients (in collaboration with Bain Partners), build working relationships and maintain client relationships
- Build, manage and prioritize the pipeline of commercial opportunities
- Develop and execute a go-to-market campaign and marketing plan
- Build and lead the supporting product, sales and marketing teams for DealEdge
- Be responsible for managing the global business P&L and rapid scaling of DealEdge
- Develop and maintain the commercial strategy for the new data business
- Set the overall product vision, strategy, long-term/near-term priorities for DealEdge
- Work with the Bain Private Equity Group and third party partner/company leadership to define the vision and strategy for the commercial opportunity
- Manage the pricing strategy across geographies and industries and refine the pricing model as needed
- Set-up processes to generate Bain revenue or client chargebacks, along with external-to-Bain sales (where applicable)
- Develop and refine appropriate delivery and scaling model to support growth targets
- Build Bain’s external reputation for this proprietary data business via marketing and promotional activities
- Create and maintain a compelling product roadmap (with heavy support from Solutions Consultants and Product Management), including:
- Create and maintain a multi-year roadmap on how the product suite would evolve, and constantly fine-tune/adapt that roadmap based on new learnings / commercial opportunities
- Collaborate with other Bain customer experience-related benchmarking efforts and drive consistency in approach and delivery model
- Over time, collaborate with Bain Performance Improvement experts and benchmarking to build out operational and cost benchmarks by episode
- Recruit and build the DealEdge/PE team and expertise, supporting hiring of 2 to 5 additional team members in 2021, spanning product and sales roles (with a larger team over time based on the growth of the business)
- Bachelor’s degree required
This individual will have a track record of success setting a vision, defining a strategy and moving an organization forward with the appropriate capabilities and systems to achieve that plan. Specifically the candidate will have:
5+ years of building or managing business with P&L accountability
- 5+ years of experience with customer insights /primary market research and analytics at a consulting firm, market research agency or data provider
- Exceptional analytic and technical skills, including knowledge of market research tools, data science and business intelligence tools
- Skilled at identifying opportunities for commercial growth and driving change through an organization
- Track record of building strong customer relationships
- Experience explaining and performing a variety of statistical and data mining techniques
- Experience translating data into business insights using appropriate data engineering, analytics and visualization applications in fast-paced environment
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in building strong customer relationships
- Experience building and leading a high-performing team
Concentration in business or data science/analytics strongly preferred.
Master’s degree in business administration preferred.
Irrespective of an individual’s specific background, the successful candidate will be:
- Collaborative – someone who knows how to work with and through others to drive results and make change happen, as well is customer service orientated
- Entrepreneurial, proactive, and productive - someone who knows how to prioritize what needs to be done and rallies colleagues to get things accomplished; “roll up the sleeves” type of attitude
- Bright – both insightful and creative, with strong problem-solving skills and pragmatic, with a practical, “real-world” sense of what is actually “do-able”. Possesses an affinity for data-driven insights to make decisions, and able to harness knowledge and expertise of the best content to support the Practice
- Articulate and compelling in his/her oral and written communication skills; engaging and concise – with interpersonal “presence”; adaptable across executive, technical and Bain audiences
- Energetic, with drive, enthusiasm, and natural skills in relationship development; well-connected, with an extensive network of potentially relevant relationships
- Inspirational Leadership - track record of managing high-performing, service-oriented team members, motivating and developing colleagues above and below their own tenure
- A great colleague and teammate - passionate about the task at hand and fun to be around; someone with whom Bainies and clients go out of their way to work
WHAT MAKES US A GREAT PLACE TO WORK
We are proud to be consistently recognized as one of the world's best places to work, a champion of diversity and a model of social responsibility. We are currently ranked the #1 consulting firm on Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work list, and we have maintained a spot in the top four on Glassdoor's list for the last 12 years. We believe that diversity, inclusion and collaboration is key to building extraordinary teams. We hire people with exceptional talents, abilities and potential, then create an environment where you can become the best version of yourself and thrive both professionally and personally. We are publicly recognized by external parties such as Fortune, Vault, Mogul, Working Mother, Glassdoor and the Human Rights Campaign for being a great place to work for diversity and inclusion, women, LGBTQ and parents.