About WS Development
Massachusetts-based WS Development is a mixed-use developer with a singular mission: creating places people want to be. WS brings an equal passion for office, lab, residential and hotel, but its roots in retail drive the company’s philosophy that every project begins at the ground level with an active pedestrian experience. With an approach that values art, science, innovation and, above all else, people, WS strives to engage each community it serves with world-class installations and activations. Established in 1990, WS is a vertically-integrated company that conceptualizes, owns, operates and leases more than 100 properties that range from cutting-edge urban spaces to suburban lifestyle centers. With over 20 million square feet of existing space and an additional five million square feet under development, it is one of the largest privately-owned development firms in the country.
With continued expansion, we are excited to add a General Manager (GM) to our Seaport portfolio. This role will be responsible for achieving excellence in the day to day operations of WS’s holdings and the public realm in the Seaport district. This is a brand new role in a rapidly evolving area, so it is perfect for a candidate with entrepreneurial spirit who wishes to apply innovative strategies to cement Seaport’s place as one of the most energetic and exciting neighborhoods in the country. It is vital that a candidate possess the ability to pivot and to make decisions in a rapidly evolving environment. The GM will lead the Seaport Marketing and Operations teams, as well as work closely with the Seaport Tenant Construction, Development, and Leasing teams, and will report to the SVP of Company Operations with dotted line and day-to-day reporting to the SVP - Seaport. The GM will support the SVP – Seaport on a range of initiatives such as community-building strategy and events and government interface on operational and public safety matters. The GM will either have an executive-level grasp of trends, business drivers, and priorities in community-building or be excited about developing it.
What to expect:
This is a wide-ranging role that will allow you to apply and develop your leadership skill, your strategic inputs, and your ability to execute tactically across a wide range of initiatives. No two days will be the same, so someone who thrives in a dynamic and rapidly changing landscape will thrive as our first Seaport GM.
- Overall responsibility for achieving excellence in the day to day operations of Seaport
- Overall responsibility for the Seaport operating budget
- Develop and oversee a world-class guest experience for the Seaport neighborhood (ex. engage local travel and tourism organizations)
- Spearhead and support critical partnership efforts (ex. MassBio and Seaport based businesses such as BCG, PWC, PTC, etc)
- Lead strategic project initiatives that require significant cross functional support (ex. art curation and project management to benefit the public realm)
- Primary responsibility for tenant relations which includes building relationships, supporting tenant initiatives, monitoring tenant sales, helping tenants to achieve success, and logging tenant activity and areas of opportunity
- Support team in contract negotiations & vendor management as needed
- Build and manage relationships with internal cross functional partners (development, construction, leasing, corporate marketing, AI, accounting)
- Partner with leasing to attract, retain, and grow tenant base
- Be an ambassador for the Seaport brand to prospective tenants, sponsors, and other partners
- Partner with Tenant Construction and Field Marketing to assist with the opening of new tenants in Seaport
- Work closely with the Director of Brand Partnerships to build and drive strategic external partnerships, resulting in incremental revenue (AI)
- Be a student of cutting-edge operations and marketing technology and strategy toward implementation in Seaport
- Establish Seaport as a thought leader across retail and innovation through speaking engagements, interviews, writing, and other outreach efforts
Immediate Opportunity/Initial Success:
There are no shortage of immediate opportunities to create value in this role. One of the most critical and rewarding will be your opportunity to become a senior level partner across functions. You will be a strategic partner to our Seaport Tenant Construction, Development, and Leasing teams while having management and leadership responsibility for our Marketing and Operations teams. You will also have the chance to make an immediate impact through establishing relationships within the Seaport community – both within the real estate world and beyond.
Potential for Growth/Longer Term Success:
As one of the largest and most significant assets in our portfolio, the sky’s the limit. From continuing to establish the Seaport as a destination for retail, residential, office, and hotel tenants, to growing the awareness nationally that the Seaport is a preeminent collection of properties, a successful General Manager will have an ongoing opportunity to strengthen this critical piece of the WS portfolio. Additionally, ongoing community engagement work will provide an opportunity for the incumbent to further ingrain and connect themselves in this thriving neighborhood.
- College degree required with MBA or other advanced degree preferred
- 10-15 years of experience in real estate, retail, hospitality, or another consumer-focused industry
- Experience working in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving workplace
- Enthusiasm, entrepreneurial initiative, and a strong work ethic
- Ability to provide both strategic guidance and day-to-day tactical direction on a wide variety of operational and marketing-related matters
- A proven leader, passionate about hiring great people, leading great people, and developing great people
- Orientation toward innovation and trying new things
- Comfort with ambiguity and adaptability to change
- Consistent focus on optimization and improvement (both self-improvement and the work)
- High ethical standards and integrity
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated success working in a collaborative manner with cross-functional teams
- Experience working in a complex cross-functional environment involving management of a wide variety of stakeholders
- Desire to laugh + have fun