Energy Systems Group (ESG) is looking for a dynamic professional to join our Public Infrastructure team as a General Manager, working in the South Region, reporting to the Senior Vice President, Public Sector. This position can be located anwhere in the Southeastern United States. The General Manager assists the Senior Vice President in developing primary goals, operating plans, policies, and short and long-term range objectives for their business unit as well as the organization as a whole. This position directs and coordinates activities to achieve profit and return on capital for his/her individual business unit(s). The General Manager establishes organizational structure and delegates tasks and authority to subordinates. This person leads the organization toward objectives, meets with and advises other executives, and reviews results of the business operations. The General Manager represents Energy Systems Group to the community, customers, government agencies and the public.
Below are the main accountabilities of the General Manager role.
This role can be located anywhere within the Southern/Southeastern United States
- Responsible for the strategic planning process for a Region resulting in establishment of short and long term planning, profitability targets and regional contribution to company growth
- Responsible for the creation and documentation of Region’s strategic plan, including the creation of strategic, tactical, and financial plans; developing goals and measuring performance against goals; organizational development; liaison to the public, government, affiliated organizations
- Participate in the development of ESG plans to achieve short and long term growth objectives
- Accountable for Regional P&L, ensuring adherence with operating budgets
- Develop and regularly monitor appropriate performance metrics, financial forecasts, and other metrics to evaluate operations and identify areas for improvement, reporting findings to the Executive team
- Provide leadership to all regional staff and operations on a day-to-day basis, leading by example with clear alignment to company objectives and culture
- Monitor competitors to identify industry trends and new business opportunities
- Develop employees through performance reviews and frequent discussions regarding competencies, value alignment, employee development and results achieved
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations in all day-to-day operations, as well as adherence to existing Company policies and procedures
- Accountable for maintaining appropriate staffing levels to meet business objectives. Engage in the Talent Acquisition and Development activities for the Business Unit
- Demonstrate personal integrity, teamwork and alignment to all corporate values.
- Contributes to overall establishment of ESG strategies and objectives
- Sets and communicates clear performance objectives for employees, ensuring that objectives are understood
- Holds employees accountable for meeting individual performance objectives as well as contributing to overall ESG objectives
- Develops employees through performance reviews and routine discussions regarding competencies, value alignment, and results achieved
- Performs all duties as deemed necessary by management
The following criteria have been determined as those most likely to lead a candidate to success in the General Manager role. Although ESG would prefer a candidate that meest the majority of these job requirements, management retains the right to make exceptions.
EDUCATION/CERTIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ related experience in energy services/performance contracting industry
- Five (5) years’ of direct management experience
- Experience must include direct management of sales and operations employees along with full P & L responsibility, budgeting, forecasting and strategic planning
- Excellent organizational, communication (verbal and written), and problem solving skills
- Ability to proficiently operate Microsoft Office suite applications
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work with all types of people
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions, exercise discretion and independent judgment
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical and mechanical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with both abstract and concrete variables
- Ability to assist employees in understanding project objectives and specifications and seeing the other side of an issue
- Maturity and professionalism to effectively handle frequent exposure to senior members at ESG, as well as with external organizations, customers, and the public
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to work at a desk and operate a computer, often sitting for long periods of time. The employee may occasionally have to lift and/or move up to 10 to 20 pounds. The employee is required to practice, recognize, and interpret safety precautions and follow safety rules and OSHA requirements as they relate to the job. The employee is required to work in an indoor environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. This position requires the ability to think quickly on your feet while maintaining a level head. The ability to defuse sensitive issues is mandatory. Consistent and reliable attendance is required.
Energy Systems Group reserves the rights to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the company desires. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including main accountabilities, to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at-will.”