*THIS POSITION WILL BE BENCH FOR UPCOMING NEW STORES*
Who we are
Imagine working in a place where continuous improvement and innovation is celebrated and rewarded; where fast-paced, high-impact teams come together to positively drive results for one of the largest & most iconic brands in the world.
As the only rapidly growing retailer, you may know us as your friendly neighborhood store. You probably know our familiar name, have seen our pervasive logo, and have tried our highly sought-after products, such as Slurpee® and Big Bite®. "Brain Freeze" is a 7-Eleven registered trademark for our 53-year old Slurpee® and with over 71,100 stores globally (more than any other retailer or food service provider), we sell over 14 million a month.
But there's a lot more to our story and much more left to be written. We are transforming our business, ensuring we are customer obsessed and digitally enabled to seamlessly link our brick and mortar stores with digital products and services.
At 7-Eleven the entrepreneurial spirit is in our DNA and has been ever since our inception 90+ years ago. It's what drove us to invent the convenience industry in 1927 by envisioning how a simple ice dock could provide household staples such as milk and eggs to better serve the needs of our customers.
Today we are redefining convenience and the customer experience in big ways...we are fundamentally changing our culture and we want talented, innovative, customer obsessed, and entrepreneurial people like you to come make history with us.
How we lead
At 7-Eleven we are guided by our Leadership Principles.
About This Opportunity
Manager-in-Training (MIT) position is a non-exempt hourly position eligible for overtime in compliance with federal and state laws. The MIT is in training to learn the functions and responsibilities of the Facility Manager position. This hourly position has a six (6) day 48 hour workweek and reports directly to the Area Operations Manager.
Responsibilities include learning and assisting in the duties required of a Facility Manager, which are listed below:
Human Resources Management
- Maintain positive employee relations and morale by supervising employees and ensuring that Company policies and procedures are being followed and maintained
- Recruit, interview, and hire employees; ensure that all aspects of the hiring process are completed and that facility is properly staffed
- Effectively train and develop all employees within the facility; supervise training conducted by Assistant Manager and/or other designee
- Effectively manage labor hours through proper scheduling
- Determine and adjust rates of pay for employees at the facility
- Ensure that Company policies related to safety & security and EEO are administered and followed by all employees at all times
- Ensure that Company policies and procedures and all laws governing restricted beverage and tobacco sales are followed by all employees
- Evaluate and take positive and consistent disciplinary action on violations of Company policies and procedures
- Supervise coverage of shifts left vacant due to emergency or lack of personnel and fill as needed
- Prepare and conduct performance reviews for all employees per Company policy; prepare and send all status changes to Human Resources
- Resolve employee relations problems and complaints in a timely manner; counsel and document employee performance issues; process employee terminations as necessary; follow through and communicate employee relations problems to the Area Operations Manager
- Initiate and document terminations of employees with the approval of Area Operations Manager; attend unemployment hearings
- Conduct employee meetings at least once per month or as necessary to communicate store-wide issues and build teamwork among employees
- Provide effective management of expenses, profits and losses to ensure the financial stability of the operation
- Ensure accurate and timely reconciliation of facility accounting with weekly and monthly Company reports
- Manage all sales records, controllable expenses and cost items affecting profitability of the facility
- Manage accurate daily accounting of all bookkeeping and ensure accurate daily completion of records, including at a minimum but not limited to:
- Tank stick and gas console/dispenser meter readings
- Register readings
- Close out lottery
- Reconcile funds including change fund, lottery and bank deposits
- Complete DSR/DIR and send to accounting group
- Monitor and analyze gas competition pricing by surveying competitors on daily basis and report to Corporate office, complete gasoline price changes
- Ensure accuracy of pump readings
- Maintain adequate stock on product and supplies needed by keeping a current build-to-book
- Oversee daily bank deposits
- Ensure prompt and courteous customer service, safe conditions at the facility, and employee supervision
- Maintain a neat personal appearance in accordance with Company Uniform and Personal Appearance policy (see Policy HR401-09)
- Effectively manage the facility by directing sales promotions, implementing new programs and communicating to vendors, sales reps, and other appropriate personnel on marketing activities
- Responsible for ordering and merchandising of all authorized merchandise by complying with inventory guidelines. Direct and control proper merchandising and follow-through on all sales promotions
- Recommend new products, services and/or procedures to the Area Operations Manager based on customer needs as well as competition
- Monitor inventory levels and work with Merchandising Managers to ensure maximum turnover of inventory without loss of sales
- Monitor and ensure compliance with all contractual merchandise agreements and report any discrepancies to management
- Complete spot checks to ensure ancillary product pricing procedures are being followed
- Check displays for neatness and customer Ensure that all authorized signs are displayed
- Maintain a working relationship with all vendors; monitor and correct delivery procedures, ensure the accuracy of orders; and report any problems to Area Operations Manager.
- Provide effective management of two or more specialty food service programs, including supervision of the Food Service Manager
- Ensure that all food and food preparation maintain quality standards and sanitation regulations
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships to ensure quality services
- Ensure that adequate stock is maintained by keeping current build-to-book
- Implement and manage security and prevention measures as suggested by the Security Department and Company policies
- Ensure all personnel are aware of security requirements and that such requirements are administered and followed by all employees at all times
- Control inventory shrink within all corporate guidelines. Pursue inventory shortages or overages to a satisfactory conclusion
- Conduct periodic shift cash audits on all shifts; if inconsistencies are found, investigate and take appropriate action
- Ensure proper daily handling of bank deposits, control cash overages and shortages on a daily basis by performing and verifying that accurate cash register procedures are followed by all employees
- Conduct daily safety inspections of equipment to ensure optimal operating conditions at all times
- Ensure that safe conditions and a safe environment are maintained at all times
- Respond, report and follow-up on all employee and/or customer accidents, injuries and loss or damage to any property
- Assure good operating condition of all equipment; perform minor maintenance and repair to property and equipment as needed; advise Area Operations Manager and/or Maintenance of all breakdowns immediately
- Perform any other duties as needed for the effective and efficient operation of both the facility and at least 2 food specialty programs
- Ensure work attendance in compliance with Company expectations
Education and Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is preferred. Minimum of 1 year retail management or relevant experience required. Must be authorized to work in the United States.
*A valid drivers license is required; reliable transportation and maintenance of insurance as designated by state regulations is required. Employees are subject to motor vehicle checks in accordance with Company policy.
Knowledge and Skills
Demonstrated leadership and customer service skills and competencies. Proven success developing team members. Demonstrated ability to use P&L and store reports to affect change. Ability to read and interpret documents such as rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to write routine reports and to speak effectively before customers and employees. Proficient accounting skills. Ability to exercise sound judgment and work with minimum supervision. Proficient computer knowledge (Microsoft products preferred Word, Excel). PDI/Verifone/Topaz experience preferred.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for full shift.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds from ground to overhead, and/or 60 pounds from ground to waist level, up to thirty minutes of workday (i.e., to assisting in stocking/maintaining inventory levels).
- Ability to push and pull with arms up to a force of 128 pounds (i.e., utilizing hand truck.)
- Ability to bend at the waist with some twisting, up to one hour of the workday.
- May be required to climb a ladder and/or stool, kneel or crouch to store or retrieve materials and/or place or remove signs.
- Ability to grasp, reach, and manipulate objects with hands all day. This handwork requires eye-hand coordination and may require bilateral coordination of hands, up to four hours of the workday.