Cox Media Group Houston has a rare opening for a General Sales Manager (GSM) who with be responsible for all revenue for the radio station(s) assigned among all lines of business; spot, digital and event revenues. This GSM will also be responsible revenue assigned to and development of direct reports (Account Managers and CSC). The Director of Sales, GSM, and Integrated Sales Manager will collaborate on a collective annual plan for the cluster and will assign specific responsibility to the GSM where he/she will be tasked with flawlessly executing, being proactive and making suggestions as needed to meet or exceed it, as well as foster a positive environment where employees can soar with their strengths and be rewarded accordingly.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and oversee sales plan for local, national and digital revenue to grow market share and maximize revenue
- Meet or exceed all revenue and development goals
- Monitor daily sales activity, forecast future revenue, as well as maintaining a pulse on the market to adjustment accordingly
- Have the ability to strategize, manage inventory and develop talent
- Train and develop staff while providing a high-energy and positive work environment
- Make sales calls with sellers to cultivate, grow and retain business, as well as coach sellers for development
- Drive new business development on all platforms; spot, digital and event
- Manage Account Managers by way of IFM’s, Quarterly Diagnostic Reviews and hold them account to their respective plans
- Mentor, train and grow “bench” sales managers. Work with the DOS to accomplish individualized development plans
- Oversee the day to day systems and procedures within the sales department and suggest ways to improve where identified
- Maintain strong relationship with traffic, accounting, marketing and production to keep sales support positive and efficient
- Conduct weekly sales meetings as a forum to share information, motivate and train staff, as well as teambuilding exercises
- Set clear goals by sales person, communicate goals clearly and effectively. Hold them 100% accountable
- Track sales progress and redirect as needed, while taking into consideration cluster objectives
- Oversee presentations to make sure they achieve the goal of the client and cluster
- Lead by example; be a positive and professional role model with a sense of urgency
- Responsible for inventory management and yield management pricing
- Work closely with research to provide marketing tools to drive sales results
- Be financially responsible for sales operating budget
- Endeavor to learn the duties and responsibilities of the Director of Sales in order to provide backup
- Additional duties may be assigned as the business and needs evolve
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred or equivalent work experience, with minimum of three (3) years media sales management experience, preferably in broadcast radio.
- Minimum of five (5) years media sales experience required.
- Must have strong verbal, written, math and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of Excel, Windows, PowerPoint and media software such as Kantar, Media Monitors, Nielsen, etc.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, percentages and commissions.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only a limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must be very knowledgeable in the basic and advanced techniques of selling radio, digital and events, as well as sales negotiation.
- Computer knowledge and broad experience is required, especially in use of excel spreadsheets.
- A solid understanding of radio programming, production and research is necessary as well.
- General business experience and knowledge of related advertising businesses.
- Employees accomplish their duties using safe work practices and equipment, while being responsible for reporting all injuries, observed unsafe conditions or practices to their leader.
- Coach fellow employees on safe work practices as appropriate and contribute to the overall success of the company’s safety program.
- Teamwork and the ability to get along with others is an essential function of the job. Angry, rude, disrespectful, insubordinate and uncooperative behavior will result in discipline, including termination.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-TX-Houston-1990 Post Oak Blvd
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager/Senior Manager
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing