Reports to: Director of Construction
Job Classification: Exempt
The General Superintendent will work under general supervision of the Director of Construction through whom work assignments are made in terms of objectives to be accomplished and his delegated responsibilities and authorities. The Director of Construction may provide direction on the best utilization of resources (equipment, labor, materials, and subcontractors); production and schedule goals; and expectations as to reporting and communications.
The General Superintendent will also work closely with the President/GM who may give guidance and assistance on management of the project regarding scope of work, schedule, budget, utilization of resources, and reporting.
The General Superintendent will be expected to work independently, resolving most of the conflicts which arise. They will be expected to keep field supervisors aligned with required progress, production and schedules. They will provide recommendations, solutions, and actions necessary to resolve problems or other potentially controversial matters.
A significant role is played by the General Superintendent in ensuring timely and efficient communications with his Project Team; accurate and timely reporting and communications with the corporate staff.
Work is reviewed by the Director of Construction for achievement of objectives.
- Ensure compliance with the Brad Cole Construction Safety Plan.
- Monitor project site activities and take appropriate measures whenever safety violations or other issues are identified.
- Perform STEP Safety Observations.
- Foster and maintain a SAFETY-FIRST culture with all team members being managed by General Superintendent.
For Satisfactory Performance, Brad Cole Construction Safety Policies and Procedures must be strictly adhered to. Failure to adhere to Brad Cole Construction Safety Policies and Procedures will result in less than Satisfactory Performance.
- Overall supervision through Project Superintendents in concert with the Project Manager of the actual physical construction of the project(s) in strict accordance with the contract documents.
- Lead the Project Superintendents in establishing and maintaining good safety and security practices for the entire project in accordance with the safety program.
- Ensure Project Superintendents deliver high-quality work that meets the approved project schedule and budget.
- Plan and review the project work with the Project Superintendents.
- Provide input on job site logistics, organization, equipment and manpower utilization,
- Serve as a liaison between the field equipment needs and Director of Asset and Equipment to streamline equipment repairs and mobilization.
- Lead the Project Superintendents in preparation of 2 week look ahead work schedules and keep them updated.
- Lead the Project Superintendents in scheduling and expediting the delivery of materials and equipment for their timely on-site delivery.
- Assist the Project Superintendents to coordinate, direct, and monitor the activities of subcontractors and suppliers.
- Coordinate the work onsite with the activities of inspection agencies as necessary.
- Keep Project Managers informed as to changes made in the field, so that such changes may be covered by general contract change orders and subcontract change orders.
- Maintenance of satisfactory relationships with owners and subcontractors.
- Mentor promising employees/develop future leaders utilizing strict protocol.
- Overall ensure the project team is supported by General Superintendent and that issues are overcome by planning and coordination.
- Responsible to ensure Superintendents perform per the published Job Description and perform employee review in keeping with the corporate policy.
- Ensure equipment is operated and inspected properly.
- Hire/fire Superintendents (with Corporate input).
- Assist Corporate Estimating in review of jobs.
- Work with other General Superintendents to properly coordinate overall men and machines.
- Assist other General Superintendents in issues that arise on their projects.
- Ensure Superintendents are properly executing daily reports and review same.
- Additional duties and assignments, as deemed necessary by Brad Cole of Executive Management.
- Work closely with Estimating Department to perform the following:
- Assist in making go/no-go decisions to pursue projects
- Develop estimates and pricing for potential projects
- Monthly review of costs
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- Demonstrate informative and professional assistance when working with vendors, customers and co-workers.
- Act independently and originate new procedures and new approaches to problems.
- Display excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintain initiative to meet and exceed the project construction schedule.
- Work under stress and with commitment to deadlines.
- Sustain interpersonal relationships, which encourage openness, truthfulness and confidence, both internally and externally.
- Complete projects and/or reports in accurate and timely manner.
- Maintain Company information in a confidential manner.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Display professional appearance, warm demeanor and positive attitude.
- Be a motivated self-starter.
- Work independently and to be accurate, efficient and organized.
- Manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Work under pressure with time constraints in a changing environment.
- Listen and analyze information presented, as well as communicate information and ideas through effective speaking and writing.
- Manage and coordinate multiple tasks as required on projects.
- Maintain scheduling tasks to meet deadlines
- Listen to and understand information presented through spoken words and sentences, as well as communicates information and ideas through effective speaking and writing.
- Use electronic equipment such as computer, radios, and cell phone for communication to others as required.
- Travel and work at locations of construction projects as required.
- Sit, walk and/or stand for 8+ hours a day as the position is primarily located in a field setting.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, reach and balance occasionally. Must be able to lift and move up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work outside, in all types of environments and weather.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS
- This position requires working in the outdoor environment
- Must be able to work extended hours, over 40 per week, as required.
- This position requires a flexible work schedule; night, holidays and/or weekends may be required.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, and EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 3-5 years of construction management experience is required.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Additional credits or degree would be a plus.
- Must be able to operate heavy construction equipment. CDL is a plus.
- Must have OSHA 30 Certification or the ability to acquire.
- Experience in site grading/heavy construction; including mass excavations, embankments, hauling and placement of transported materials, utility construction.
- Landfill construction or operation experience is preferred.
- Coal Combustion Product Management is a plus.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Utilization of computer programs such as Microsoft Office including, but not limited to, Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Must be able to read engineered drawings and blueprints.
- Must be able to read grade stakes and use a level.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.
Keywords: general superintendent, field superintendent, site superintendent, construction superintendent, project superintendent, traveling superintendent, construction manager, site manager, field manager, field supervisor, construction supervisor, project supervisor