You bring your body, mind, heart and spirit to your work as a Genetics Counselor in Oncology.
You know when to move quickly. When to sit quietly. When to laugh loudly.
You’re equally comfortable with assessing individual or family risk for a variety of inherited conditions and providing information and support to other healthcare providers, individuals, and families.
You’re great at what you do, but you want to be part of something even greater. Because you believe that while individuals can be strong, the right team is invincible.
Lutheran Medical Centeris part of SCL Health, a faith-based, nonprofit healthcare organization that focuses on person-centered care. Our 249-bed community-based hospital provides comprehensive, specialty care to the poor, the vulnerable, our communities and each other. Dating back to 1905, we are proud of the rich history and inspiring mission our hospital has embodied for over 110 years.
Benefitsare one of the ways we encourage health for you and your family. Our generous package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. But health is more than a well-working body: it encompasses body, mind and social well-being. To that end, we’ve launched a Healthy Living program to address your holistic health. Healthy Living includes financial incentives, digital tools, tobacco cessation, classes, counseling and paid time off. We also offer financial wellness tools and retirement planning.
Together we’ll align mission and careers, values and workplace. We’ll honor each other’s dignity and surpass the standards we set. We’ll encourage joy, demand safety and take pride in our integrity.
We’ll laugh at each other’s jokes (even the bad ones). We’ll hello and high five. We’ll celebrate milestones and acknowledge the value of spirituality in healing.
We’re proud of what we know, which includes how much there is to learn.
As a Genetics Counselor in Oncology, you need to know how to:
- Assess, plan, and manage medical, psychological and social problems for a specialty patient population. Gather diagnostic information, evaluate psychosocial and medical history, and interpret clinical/laboratory findings. Counsel patients and families regarding genetic risks, diagnostic testing, and case management. Communicate clearly with families/patients.
- Maintain accurate case records with full, accurate and appropriate medical record documentation.
- Perform medical/literature searches from worldwide databases. Interpret and extrapolate research found in medical literature to clinical applications. Identify, evaluate, and administer appropriate educational materials in order for patients to understand complex genetic information.
- Liaison with health care professionals for inquiries and referrals. Serve as a clinical resource person and effectively share clinical expertise with medical staff and community. Conduct formal and informal educational programs for physicians, residents, health professionals, and the general community.
- Design and implement programs, policies and procedures within the area of human/clinical genetics. Monitor and integrate new genetic technologies, theories, and community resources. Attend continuing education necessary to maintain Certified Genetic Counselor status with the American Board of Genetic Counselling, as applicable.
- Participate in quality initiatives, including patient satisfaction, patient care, and workflow.
We hire people, not resumes. But we also expect excellence, which is why we require:
- Master’s Degree in Genetic Counseling or related field, required
- Certified or board-eligible for certification by the American Board of Genetic Counseling or American Board of Medical Genetics, required
- Minimum of two (2) years of related experience consistent with clinical rotations required by graduate degree and prior clinical genetics experience in prenatal, cancer, and/or other specialty setting, required
- Previous experience as an Oncology-specific Genetics Counselor, preferred
Your next move.
Now that you know more about being a Genetics Counselor in Oncology on our team we hope you’ll join us. At SCL Health you’ll reaffirm every day how much you love this work, and why you were called to it in the first place.