Location Address: 7050 Gall Boulevard Zephyrhills, Florida 33541
- FH Zeph/Dade City Named One of America’s Best Hospitals for Heart Care, Orthopedics, Stroke Centers and Patient Safety three years in a row “2017-2019” by the Women’s Choice Award
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade A Spring/Fall 2018
- One of only 35 Hospitals Nationally Named as a Top General Hospital by The Leapfrog Group
- Four Star Recipient for Coronary Interventional Procedures in 2019 by Health grades
- First in Florida to earn Advanced Certification for Total Hip and Total Knee by The Joint Commission
- Clinical assessment
Delirium: Brief Confusion Assessment Method
Dementia: Short Portable Mental Status Questionnaire
Gait Instability: Timed Up and Go Test
Functional Status: Katz Activities of daily Living
Polypharmacy: and Beer’s List Evaluation
- Communication of GEM Assessment by GEM Liaison to ED Physician
- Communication of findings/plan of care by GEM Liaison to Primary Care Physician, as needed
- Care coordination between Case Management, Social Work, Home Health, Department of Aging, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Palliative Care, Geriatrics.
- Communication of findings/plan of care by GEM Liaison to patient/family after discussion with ED Physician and PCP.
- Patient callbacks with 24 hours if patient is discharged.
- Documentation in medical record of basic findings of GEM Consult
- Any acute medical care issues will be handled by the ED team (Physician and APP) NOT the GEM Liaison.
Indications for GEM Consults
- If patient is a potential 30-day readmission
- If patient is a potential 72-hour revisit to the ED with admission
- By request of ED Physician
- A triage ISAR score of 2 or greater or positive PERILS score by EMS.
- GEM consults will be provided 24 hours / day when census permits
- Other geriatric-specific care activities as assigned by the GEM Team Leader
- Work as an ED RN at least 8 hours each month to enhance skill set.
- Utilize the nursing process to provide quality care to the patient.
- Identifies and initiates patient care requirements in collaboration with triage, nursing assessment and physician order(s).
- Establish a personal rapport with patients and other persons involved in understanding the care requirements.
- Provide a compassionate environment by providing emotional, psychological, and spiritual support to patients, friends, and families.
- Promotes patient independence by establishing patient care goals and includes education to the patient, friends, and family that will support health promotion.
- Assures quality of care by:
adhering to patient care standards
compliance with core measures as measured by the organization
measuring health outcomes against patient care goals and standards
adherence to care standards set forth by the state board of nursing, state nurse practice act, and other governing body/agency regulations.
- Resolves patient concerns by utilizing multidisciplinary team strategies.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment by ascertaining all aspects of patient care.
- Protect the health of patients, families, and employees by adhering to all infection-control policies.
- Initiates protocols and administers medication in accordance with regulations as indicated by the organization.
- Completes documentation per organizational and/or department specific policy.
- Ensure the safe and efficient use of equipment; troubleshooting malfunctions and following procedures for repair.
- Basic computer knowledge
- Commitment to purposeful hourly rounding
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- Complete arrhythmia test or course within ninety days
- Current American Heart Association ACLS certification (must be maintained current)
- Current American Heart Association PALS or ENPC certification (must be maintained current)
- Current Florida state Registered Nurse licensure
- Current American Heart Association BLS certification
- Current or completion of NIHSS stroke certification within thirty days
- Experience with computerized documentation (preferred)
- 2-3 years of Emergency Department experience (preferred)
- Geriatric Nursing Certification (preferred)
- TNCC (preferred)
- CENC (preferred)
- CGNC (preferred)
- BSN (preferred)
The GEM (RN) is accountable for coordinating the efforts of the multidisciplinary treatment team for the patients under his/her care. The GEM RN is accountable for administering, supervising, coordinating, and evaluating the nursing process in the provision of care; and will strive to maintain and improve patient outcomes.
The GEM RN is responsible for acting as a role model for the mission and patient promise of Florida Hospital Zephyrhills. She/he is accountable for working within the parameters of the Florida Nurse Practice Act, regulatory standards, established policies, protocols and procedures; and utilizes other pertinent references as guidelines for clinical practice. S/he critically evaluates evidence for application to clinical practice in his / her area of practice.