Expedia Group’s global legal team of 120+ is entering a new phase in our life cycle as we establish a Legal Operations function to help meet the growing needs and demands of our team and of the businesses we support. While the immediate objectives are focused on law firm engagement and management, cost savings and contract life cycle management (CLM), this role should develop over time to have a full Legal Operations mandate, including knowledge management, legal technology and legal service delivery. Reporting to the VP Legal, the Global Legal Operations Manager will play a key role in changing how we work and interact with one another and with our clients. This is an immense opportunity for someone who has the right skills, drive and ambition to come in and make a lasting impact.
Our legal team is a group of smart, creative and business-savvy professionals who are highly regarded across all corners of Expedia Group. We take the time to understand our businesses and our clients, and we are trusted and valued partners with a seat at the table for important decisions. We are fortunate enough to support an incredible group of people who are constantly innovating within both the travel and technology industries. While we are laser-focused on helping the business achieve its goals, we never miss an opportunity to learn…or to have a little fun. And we are proud of the collaborative and supportive culture we have built across our global legal department.
What you will do:
Build and lead a law firm management program to help identify and realize legal fee cost savings:
- Analyze and optimize how legal work is allocated and managed as between internal staff and external firms
- Drive greater value from service providers by ensuring the right work is in the right hands, using creative fee arrangements, introducing bidding and RFPs, and identifying ‘value-adds’
- Centralize and streamline law firm rate review and negotiation for the department;
- Create effective feedback loops for service providers, identifying opportunities for service improvement
- Optimize use of Thomson Reuters Legal Tracker functionality to increase visibility into spend, enable analysis of spend data, and enforce compliance with billing guidelines
- Streamline processes and reduce administrative load on internal team
- Maintain and update law firm engagement terms and billing guidelines, and administer, advise, and train others on them
- Assume a key role in delivering a CLM solution, working closely with the CLM project manager, Contracts Manager and other key stakeholders
Develop a department knowledge management program:
- Manage and maintain the legal team’s SharePoint knowledge portal
- Help institutionalize legal knowledge by gathering, curating and organizing legal work product
- Create self-service tools for internal clients
- Embed legal know-how in business workflows
- Assume supervisory and management responsibility for the Billing Administration contractors
Who you are:
You have worked closely with a Legal Operations leader for several years, perhaps as a number two, and you have been involved with developing and/or managing a sophisticated external counsel program. Ideally you have previously played an important role in delivering a large-scale, enterprise-wide project. You are highly motivated and thrive in a role where you have an opportunity to build something from the ground up. You enjoy building relationships, and you actively seek out other perspectives, understanding the value that diversity brings. You can identify a range of creative solutions to the challenges that exist, and while you are never short of ideas, you are great at prioritizing and balancing short-term wins with longer-term needs. You are resourceful and determined, you see your projects through to completion, and then you look for further opportunities for improvement.
- Bachelor’s degree ideally in a business-related field
- Minimum of 2 years in an operational role in a legal department
- Experience with Thomson Reuters Legal Tracker preferred
- Good understanding of law firm billing / business models
- Strong process, project and operational management skills
- Technological aptitude and eagerness to learn new technologies
- Demonstrated organizational and prioritization skills and an ability to successfully juggle multiple mandates at the same time
- Excellent analytical skills and an ability to effectively use both data and experience-based instinct to make decisions
- Experience building and maintaining strong, collaborative relationships across many levels and functions within an organization
- Creative thinker with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.