The Graduate Assistant for Residence Life is a live-in professional working twenty hours per week to support the Director of Residence Life with daily operations, educational programming, community development, staff training, and assessment and evaluation regarding MCPHS University Living Learning Communities including “on-call” responsibilities. Assists the Director of Campus Life with daily operations, event reservation process, planning and reviewing events.
This is a year long position beginning on July 1, 2019.
- Assists with the operations of University sponsored housing which houses MCPHS University students, ensuring an environment that is conducive to student development and academic success.
- Participates in Residence Life (ROC) Duty Rotation (This includes weekends, after hours, break periods and holidays.) When on-call, acts as the primary contact for on-campus emergencies or crises. Writes Incident Reports as appropriate and attends Code of Conduct meetings to discuss incidents.
- Works collaboratively with professional and student staff in all residential buildings, specifically with In-Service meetings for MCPHS Resident Assistants and MCPHS Resident Assistant staff development.
- Assists the office of Residence Life in the planning of Resident Assistant training and selection.
- Adjudicates minor level cases and assists the Dean of Students Office with educational campaigns to educate MCPHS University community on policy infractions and responsibility.
- Assists students with diversity awareness to establish a pluralistic community within the halls/college community.
- Assists with departmental assessment and planning initiatives.
- Makes effective referrals to counseling or academic services, and familiarizes self with campus resources.
- Assists with the opening and closing of residence halls.
- Is available, visible, and approachable to students within the college community through 20 weekly office hours
- Attends weekly Residence Life meetings, Resident Assistant Staff Meetings and various College community functions and committees.
- Attends and participants in monthly professional development workshops provided by the Division of Student Affairs.
- Serves on the Student Affair Social Media Committee.
- Assists Student Affairs staff with Orientation planning and implementation and is present at all sessions.
- Serves on the Week One programming planning committee.
- Serves as a resource for SGA affiliated club for policy and planning questions
- Aids in the departmental efforts to get club faculty advisors more involved.
- Works with Assistant Director of Campus Life to advise and plan SGA events.
- Works as member of the Student Affairs Team participating in all collaborative initiatives and events.
- Develops a leadership event to be added to the student leadership initiative.
Additional responsibilities may be assigned by the Assistant Director of Residence Life and Assistant Director of Campus Life.
- Currently or will be pursuing a master's degree in higher education and/or student affairs administration, education, counseling or related field concurrently while in the position.
- Undergraduate residence life, student leadership, programming, student government, orientation, community service, or related experiences.
Please attach a cover letter and a resume. No phone calls, please. Principals only. No relocation available. Finalist candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check as a condition of employment. MCPHS University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants who would enrich the University’s diversity are encouraged to apply.
MCPHS University, an innovator in health and professional education, is setting the pace in the health science fields. MCPHS has more than 7000 students across campuses in Boston’s Longwood Medical Area, downtown Worcester, MA and downtown Manchester, NH. Here, we are preparing future generations of global leaders and promoting systems to improve the health of the public. In the midst of implementing an ambitious strategic plan that will bring us to our 200th anniversary in 2023, MCPHS offers meaningful work that benefits society overall, provides competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits, and fosters a sense of connectedness and collaboration among our employees. We are a fast-moving, data-driven educational institution with a strong entrepreneurial mindset.
Come join us and be a part of a diverse community that is at the forefront of advancing the healthcare landscape! To learn more about working at MCPHS University, please visit Careers at MCPHS.