The Joint Polar Satellite Systems (JPSS) Program (www.jpss.noaa.gov) is a NOAA project (under the National Environmental Satellite Data and Information Service [NESDIS]) developing a weather satellite observing system, consisting of three spacecraft, and a ground system capable of managing those spacecraft. The ground system includes antenna stations, network and telecom, telemetry and commanding, as well as data processing and distribution. The ground system developed under the JPSS program is utilized by the NESDIS Office of Satellite Products and Operations (OSPO) to operationally manage the JPSS spacecraft and the generation and distribution of products.
The Noblis task with JPSS is to provide analysis of the ground segment, as implemented by the program's prime contractor, and assist with developing improvements that either 1) reduce life-cycle cost, 2) enhance usability for the operations team, or 3) increase reliability and sustainability of the ground system.
The candidate will assist in executing the second phase of a joint JPSS-OSPO study that Noblis initiated in late 2018. The candidate will be responsible for investigating issues, identifying best practices, and implementing changes related to JPSS Ground and Flight Segment monitoring, anomaly reporting and trend analysis. The candidate will primarily do the following:
- Design and develop an interactive, live dashboard for operators showing the current status of the JPSS system and its subsystems, along with internal and external schedules of events.
- Work with the team to design and develop a system/procedure for capturing and logging events, issues, anomalies and alerts that is accessible by internal and external users and stakeholders.
- Evaluate current monitoring systems and identify methods in which system or data issues, alerts, alarms or other pertinent information could be displayed with information that is useful to on-console operators.
- Analyze the anomaly reporting process and develop ways to optimize the collection and delivery of reports to management and stakeholders.
- Develop and implement improvements to how operational procedures are delivered to end users and operations.
- Research and develop tools for capturing issues for a knowledge database/repository that will be searchable and usable to other NOAA missions.
- Gather requirements and develop solutions to provide efficient and effective transfer of information and knowledge between operations groups and various on-console work shifts (morning/afternoon/evening/overnight).
The candidate will be embedded with the OSPO operations staff onsite at the NOAA Satellite Operations Facility (NSOF) in Suitland, MD, as well as at the JPSS GreenTec facility in Greenbelt, MD. The candidate will have access to both JPSS Program government staff and other JPSS prime and support contractor staff to conduct research, interviews and technical interchange meetings to gather needed information for analysis.
The candidate must be able be able to work in a dynamic team-oriented environment, demonstrate initiative, and function productively in a design and development setting where satellite and ground segment issues can result in new assignments, as well as the re-prioritization of existing assignments. The candidate must be results-oriented with strong problem-solving abilities.
The primary duty location will be the JPSS GreenTec facility in Greenbelt, MD with occasional travel to the NOAA Satellite Operations Facility (NSOF) in Suitland, MD. Occasional support from the Noblis office (Reston, VA) may be necessary to solicit feedback and ideas from corporate assets.
The candidate must possess, at minimum, a Bachelor's Degree in a related field (meteorology, systems engineering, , mathematics, statistics, engineering).
Familiarity with real-time satellite data processing and distribution systems.
Familiarity with real-time satellite command and control, data processing, data analysis and distribution systems.
Experience in building user-friendly dashboards that can display, in a coherent fashion, multiple streams and sources of information for the end user.
Experience with monitoring and reporting tools, capturing and understanding system anomalies and alerts, and the reporting involved in relaying that information to stakeholders.
Experience in data visualization and trending, trend analysis or statistical analysis, and the methods associated with converting that analysis to solutions for stakeholders.
Experience in constructing knowledge databases/repositories that are easily navigable and can be shared across multiple platforms.
Experience with gathering, vetting and writing technical requirements.
Experience writing standard operating procedures for multiple types of audiences - management, technical end users, etc.
Excellent communications and presentation skills.
Demonstrated organizational and coordination skills.
Demonstrated knowledge of statistical reporting tools (either government or COTS).
General knowledge of satellite operations concepts and tools.
- Previous experience with NOAA satellite systems.
- General understanding of weather products produced from Polar and Geostationary satellites.
- Knowledge of weather product data formats.
- Knowledge of weather satellite ground systems, products and services.
- Knowledge or experience with leveraging cloud concepts within a Government FISMA High system.
Noblis and our wholly owned subsidiary, Noblis ESI, are solving difficult problems that help our government and our country. We bring the best of scientific thought, management, and engineering expertise with a reputation for independence and objectivity. We support a wide range of government and industry clients in the areas of national security, intelligence, transportation, healthcare, environmental sustainability, and enterprise engineering. Learn more at noblis.org/about.
Why work at a Noblis company?
Our employees find greater meaning in their work and balance the other things in life that matter to them. Our people are our greatest asset. They are exceptionally skilled, knowledgeable, team-oriented, and mission-driven individuals who want to do work that matters and benefits the public.
Noblis has won numerous workplace awards. Noblis maintains a drug-free workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race.