Groundskeeper (Weekends) - Tempe campus
Arizona State University
FDM FM Grounds Services
Facilities Management, Grounds Services, Tempe campus, seeks a weekend Groundskeeper to maintain grounds and participate in all types of grounds maintenance activities.
To be determined
- Maintain grounds and roads e.g. plant, remove debris, water; spray for weeds and insects; operate and maintain landscaping tools and equipment. Perform maintenance, and install/remove outdoor signage.
- Plant shrubs, trees, and flowers. Prune trees and shrubs.
- Remove debris from stairs and walk, rake leaves and mow lawns.
- Pick up litter and empty outdoor trash/recycling cans.
- Water trees, shrubs and lawns and perform irrigation activities.
- Spray for weeds and insects using unrestricted chemicals as required.
- Operate large power lawn mowers, edgers, hand tools and large vehicles associated with ground maintenance and landscaping activities.
- Operate pick-up trucks for hauling purposes and for trash and debris removal.
- Perform minor maintenance and repair on equipment and tools as required.
- Clean up and maintenance for special events and sporting activities (i.e. events at Gammage, Wells Fargo Arena, or Old Main).
- Use ability to communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform the essential functions of the job.
DAYS AND SCHEDULE: Saturday – Wednesday; 5:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Any experience which provides knowledge, skills and ability to perform the work. Employee may be required to possess a valid US Driver’s license of the appropriate class and required endorsements throughout employment.
- using and operating grounds equipment and/or tools (e.g. leaf sweepers, line trimmers, hedge trimmers, blowers, hand truck, power lift gate, hammer drill, chain saw, basic hand tools, etc.)
- repairing/maintaining irrigation systems
- planting shrubs, trees, flowers, pruning trees/shrubs
- operating riding, push lawn mowers, and other turf related equipment
- power washer operation
- trash compactor operation
- minor equipment maintenance (e.g. oil changes, blade sharpening, filter changes, spark plug changes, use of grease gun, etc.)
- work that requires customer service skills
- effective verbal and written communication skills
Activities regularly require long periods of exposure to external elements indigenous to a desert environment, weather, potential exposure to venomous insects, insecticides, herbicides and fertilizers. Regularly required to operate a variety of landscaping equipment, tools and machines requiring extended periods of walking over uneven and occasionally rocky surfaces, stooping, bending, reaching, lifting and pushing objects of varying weights up to 50 pounds. Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions. Regular use of mowers, trimmers, edgers, shears, spreaders, hoses, hand and power tools/machines. May regularly operate a motor vehicle as assigned. This position receives regular review of daily work tasks to ensure adherence with established standards for quality, aesthetics, and quantity. Drive University vehicles and/or carts.
Facilities Management measures performance expectations and seeks candidates who are aware of, participate in, and encourage team support of Arizona State University's sustainability programs. The University has made an institutional commitment to lead by example through the sustainable operations of its campuses. By demonstrating exemplary practices and sharing solutions, ASU stimulates changes in individual, institutional, and corporate behaviors to create a more sustainable world.
ASU offers tuition waiver (to include yourself, spouse and dependents), paid vacation and holidays, excellent benefit package, employee training and development opportunities, and an employee assistance program.
Facilities Management at ASU employment requires current eligibility to legally work in the United States. Facilities Development and Management will not be a sponsor for this position.
This position is located at University Services Building, 1551 S. Rural Road, Tempe, AZ (on Rural Road south of Apache Blvd).
Must possess a valid Arizona driver's license upon employment and maintain throughout employment. Post-offer of employment, selected candidate must possess an acceptable driving record which is 5 or fewer points in the most recent 39 month period from date of hire.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply:
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
Work reference history information for 3 current and/or former supervisors will be requested at time of interview.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ see Req Id# 55644BR or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&PageType=JobDetails&jobid=3898578
To be determined