The New York City School Support Service provides custodial support to the New York City Public Schools. Our goal is to provide these services professionally to ensure each public school facility meets every child’s needs.
Under supervision, performs one or more of a wide variety of repair and maintenance tasks in the upkeep of buildings, machinery, painting, carpentry, metal work, electrical, plumbing, steam and automotive equipment, requiring good knowledge of one or more trades. General instructions are received regarding what tasks to perform, permitting considerable leeway for planning the technical details of each assignment. May perform the tasks of lower level custodial staff.
Reports to: Custodian Engineer or designated supervisor
- Prepares and paints or varnishes interior or exterior building surfaces and associated equipment; may mix colors and assist in hanging wallpaper.
- Repairs, maintains, and assists in the installation of plumbing, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration, laundry or sewer equipment and machinery; installs, maintains and resets sanitary fixtures; cuts and threads pipes, makes minor repairs to pipe lines, and tests for leaks.
- Uses a variety of hand and power tools in construction, remodeling or repairing doors, window frames, floors, cabinets, furniture, moldings, scaffolds and steps; may install locks, refinish furniture or make concrete forms.
- Inspects, repairs and installs a wide variety of electrical equipment, lighting fixtures and wiring.
- Mixes and applies cement or plaster to floors, walls, ceilings; lays brick and tiles and finishes tile flooring; may make minor roof repairs.
- Assists with mowing and trimming of lawns and shrubbery, snow and ice removal, and clears debris from school grounds.
- Requisitions supplies and equipment needed for maintenance duties.
- Keeps tools, equipment and work area clean and in good condition.
- Assists with maintaining building maintenance logs.
- May supervise unskilled or semi-skilled personnel assigned to assist in performing one or more of the maintenance duties illustrated above.
- Responds to emergencies as required.
- Maintains knowledge of Department of Education, Department of Buildings, Environmental Protection Agency, Fire Department of New York, New York SD? codes and protocols.
- Performs related work.
There are no formal educational or experience requirements.
- Three years’ experience working in the maintenance field and general repair.
- General knowledge of plumbing, steam fitting, carpentry, glazing, painting, plaster locksmith. Supervision of employees within the related field of custodial care and facility maintenance.
- Working knowledge of facility cleaning and maintenance.
- Satisfactory completion from accredited trade school in the related field of maintenance, plumbing, steam fitting, carpentry, glazing, painting, plaster can be substituted for 1 year experience.
Valid Certificates of Fitness Issued by New York City Fire Department in the following is a plus:
- P-99 Low PSI Oil Burner
- S-95 Fire Alarm
- A-35 Air Compressor
- S-12 Citywide sprinkler
- S-13 Citywide standpipe
- Air Pollution (EPA)