Office: Athletics and Physical Education
Reports to: Director of Athletics
Work Period: 11 month
GENERAL SUMMARY: Implements the administration and promotion of athletic care within the guidelines of federal state and local laws and department, division and college policies and procedures, medical standards, and NCAA and USA South Athletic Conference rules and regulations. Reports to the director of athletics and works with physicians, medical professionals, student athletes, and personnel at other institutions to ensure athletes receive proper athletic conditioning, training, and emergency care. The incumbent will demonstrate a strong commitment to the success of the student-athletes by providing holistic prevention, treatment and overall care.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develops overall athletic training program for Agnes Scott College, including injury prevention programs, injury evaluations, injury management, injury treatment and rehabilitation, educational programs and counseling for student-athletes.
- Provides athletic training services for the College's athletic department, including attendance at scheduled team practices and home and away competitions as necessary.
- Schedules and coordinates athletic training staff and students for coverage of all team practices and athletic competitions.
- Administers first aid and emergency care at games, transports athletes to doctors, maintains a confidential correspondence with the physician and his/her supporting staff, completes required insurance forms, and grants physician referrals.
- Coordinates and schedules physical examinations and medical referrals for student-athletes to determine their ability to practice and compete.
- Develops and enforces infectious disease control protocols and testing.
- Serves as athletics liaison to campus wellness center for student-athlete care and the coordination of services
- Coordinates and assists in administering athletes' physical exams, develops and implements conditioning programs, evaluates and plans rehabilitation programs, and coordinates strength and endurance training.
- Determines medical staffing coverage for practice and contests, ensures medical staffing coverage of events, and travels with and provides medical services for Agnes Scott College sports teams.
- Administers education and counseling on athletic injuries, nutritional and weight maintenance, strength programs, and drug education and testing, and establishes continuing education programs.
- Provides supervision of assistant athletic trainer/s, graduate assistant athletic trainers and student athletic trainers.
- Works in conjunction with the strength and conditioning staff to ensure safety in the design and implementation of fitness, nutrition and conditioning programs customized to meet individual student-athlete needs.
- Collaborates with the Athletic Director in the development of the athletic training program budget.
- Evaluates and recommends new techniques and equipment that would enhance the benefit of the athletic training program.
- Coordinates up-to-date documentation, filing, and maintenance of all medical related records.
- Coordinates athlete eligibility certification with Associate Director of Athletics.
- Provides guidance to campus on risk management, privacy rules, NATA guidance, USA South rules and NCAA rules.
- Ensures compliance with all Agnes Scott, conference, and NCAA rules and regulations governing intercollegiate athletics.
- Enforces Training Room rules.
- Participates in designated staff functions including job related in-service training.
Education: Bachelor or Master's degree from a CAATE accredited program in a related occupational field of study and current BOC certification.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years work experience; College setting preferred.
- Considerable knowledge of sports, athletic training, coaching methods, and NATA/NCAA rules and regulations.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Strong computer skills in a Windows-based environment (Microsoft: Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint), including at least intermediate level word processing and spreadsheet development.
- Ability to work with diverse populations, as part of a team, and collaborate with others.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, to maintain confidentiality, and to supervise others.
- Ability and desire to meet the irregular hours and travel schedule required by the position.
- Irregular hours, outside work, and travel from office to other locations are required on a regular basis.
- Certification required as an athletic trainer (ATC) and in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid.
Intermittent sitting, standing, stooping, crouching, running, walking, throwing, and occasional moving of light objects. Work is performed in an office and sports fields, courts, etc.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Please apply online. Position is posted until filled. Due to the overwhelming response to the college's staff openings we are unable to respond personally to individual telephone inquiries. No faxed submissions please.
Agnes Scott College does not discriminate on the basis of, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information, gender identity and gender expression or any other characteristic protected by law in its employment. Agnes Scott College has a strong commitment to diversity and urges members of underrepresented groups to apply.