What We're Looking For:
We are looking for a Health Assistant to join our Head Start Program, under the direction of the Health Services Coordinator, the Health Assistant ensures that health and nutrition services are provided in accordance with State and Federal guidelines; ensures that health screenings and assessments are implemented for Head Start children. Responsible for tracking referrals and record keeping of health and nutrition services; may assist with client transportation. The ideal candidate will support program services in the following areas:
- Serves as contact person and arranges assessments with education specialists, health/nutrition professionals and community resource health/nutrition agencies for children and families.
- Coordinates, implements and tracks dental, hearing, vision and growth assessment screenings for children in the Head Start program.
- Maintains strict child, family and staff confidentiality at all times.
- Tracks and follows up on health requirements: physical exams, dental exams, lead, hemoglobin/hematocrit, immunizations, etc.
- Maintains and updates complete records and documentation of all individual health records on children in conjunction with family services staff; ensures that health and nutrition records are reviewed, evaluated and interpreted to collect statistics and other data affecting health and nutrition services.
- Educate Head Start staff and parents on health and nutrition topics.
- Distributes and restocks first aid supplies to sites monthly and as needed.
- Provide families with resources for health services.
- Respond to complaints and concerns including explanations of Head Start policies and regulations to parents and health agency providers.
- Prepares correspondence, memoranda, letters and other written communication regarding program updates and activities.
- Plans and implements health fairs.
- Attends home visits with agency staff as needed for health concerns.
- Conducts quarterly health monitoring of assigned sites using the Health Monitoring tool.
- Tracks children with food allergies and collects documentation from physician.
- Meets with families to review medications to be administered to children at the site level and complete action plans for children with medical concerns.
- Tracks medication expirations and follows up with families to get updated medications.
- Works with site staff bi-annually and as needed to update food distribution supply list to ensure accurate supplies are at the sites for meals.
- Operates a variety of office equipment and computer programs.
- Able to consistently meet attendance requirements.
- Able to work harmoniously and productively with others.
- Able to maintain professional demeanor in difficult situations.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES YOU SHOULD POSSESS:
- Associate's Degree in early childhood education, psychology, health, nutrition or related field. Any other combination of training and/or experience that could likely provide the desired skills, knowledge or abilities may be considered.
- Two (2) years of experience in data entry and medical records administration, detailed record keeping and excellent communication, computer/database & keyboarding skills. Working knowledge of local community resources related to medical and/or dental care; experience in child health and nutrition services, desirable.
- Knowledge of Child Care Licensing Regulations and Head Start Performance Standards and best practices related to education and early childhood development, staffing and program options.
- Knowledge of Health and Nutrition principles and theories.
- Ability to stay current of Head Start and other applicable regulations/compliance requirements and process timely updates on program procedures and ensure application as directed.
- Learn and explain applicable laws, codes rules and regulations and procedures for the Head Start program.
- Ability to assess and respond quickly to varied situations.
- Ability to communicate, both oral and written, to individuals with diverse backgrounds
- Ability to speak, read and write English well enough to understand and be understood by others; bilingual skills are helpful
- Ability to speak before groups of individuals
- Ability to relate to diverse groups of people including low-income families.
- Ability to develop warm, open relationship with children, parents and staff.
- Ability to promote Head Start to children, families, co-workers and community.
- Ability to exhibit great sensitivity when working as a team member with other staff and parents.
- Under the supervision of the Health Services Coordinator this position must implement and follow Child Care Licensing Regulations and Head Start Performance Standards and best practices related to early childhood education and children with special needs.
- Must oversee all monitoring and maintenance of documentation, data and files and ensures utmost confidentiality of information. Includes program file requirements, training documents, and tracking.
- Must have reliable transportation and possess a valid California Driver License in good standing with DMV required; current liability insurance
- Must meet State health requirements to include passing a physical examination as a condition of employment, and TB clearance.
- Mandatory CPR and Basic First Aid certificate, which employee is responsible to maintain for the duration of their employment with Head Start.
To apply for this position, please click "Apply Here" or go to the Crystal Stairs home page, www.crystalstairs.org to submit your online application. From the Crystal Stairs home page, select "Employment", go to "Current Job Openings" and select the desired position.
Crystal Stairs is committed to building and sustaining a diverse workforce and culture. As part of this commitment, Crystal Stairs provides equal opportunity in all of our employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation, to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, medical condition as defined by state law, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, ethnic group identification, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other legally protected status.
For more information about Crystal Stairs, please visit our website at: www.crystalstairs.org
All Head Start positions are implemented in accordance with the Head Start Performance Standards in each service area.