** This position will remain open until filled **
Title: Head Volleyball Coach
School: High School
Reports to: Athletic Director or HS Principal
Supervises: Assistant Coaches in Athletic Program
Season Dates: August 14, 2020 to approximately November 14, 2020
Season Overview: Supervision and practice runs a minimum of 2 hours each day, Monday through Friday. Attendance of games on weekends and weekdays is required. Coaches are required to attend all practices and meets, help check out and collect uniforms and working with their peer coaches in a productive and effective manner.
Essential Job Duties
- Conducts program within district rules and regulations.
- Serves as a mentor to each athlete to promote the development and demonstration in student athletes the character traits of trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship.
- Notifies the Activities/Athletic Director and recommends policy, method or procedural changes.
- Maintains discipline and sportsmanlike conduct of all participants and enforces the policies of the District uniformly when disciplining participants.
- Ensures program remains within budget appropriations.
- Designs conferences, clinics and staff meetings to insure staff awareness of overall program.
- Trains and informs staff on the fundamental philosophy and skills expected and encourages professional growth by encouraging clinic attendance according to local clinic policy.
- Delegates specific duties, supervises implementation and, at season's end, analyzes staff effectiveness and evaluates all assistants.
- Consistently monitors student athlete's attendance, grades and conduct.
- Maintain a satisfactory competitive performance standard, which includes being part of the staff in all district weight lifting/conditioning programs in their particular sport.
- Responsible for selecting members to participate on the varsity team.
- Understands the proper administrative line of command and refers all requests or grievances through proper channels.
- Directs work of student managers, assistants and statisticians.
- Arranges for issuing, storing and reconditioning of equipment and submits annual inventory and current records concerning same. Responsible for cleanliness and maintenance of specific sport equipment.
- Instills in each player a respect for equipment and school property, its care and proper use.
- Organizes parents, coaches, players and guests for preseason meetings.
- Assists the Activities/Athletic Director in scheduling, providing transportation and requirements for tournament and special sport events.
- Provides documentation to fulfill state and system requirements concerning physical examinations, parental consent and eligibility.
- Assists athletes in their college or advanced educational selection.
- Assist administration in locating potential assistants upon request.
- Organize daily practices and game day procedures.
- Examines locker rooms before and after practices and games, checking on general cleanliness of the facility.
- Provides proper safeguards for maintenance and protection of assigned equipment sites.
- Responsible for the quality, effectiveness and validity of any oral or written release to local media.
- Responsible for maintaining good public relations with news media, booster club, parents, officials, volunteers and fans.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to follow both oral and written directions and instructions of the head coach and/or Athletic Director.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to effectively communicate, orally and in writing, with students, parents, staff, and the community in general.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of employment and student matters.
- Ability to perform duties with an awareness of all District requirements and Board policies.
- Ability to effectively manage time and responsibilities.
- Any combination of training, education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
- Successful experience playing/coaching high school/college volleyball.
- Holds a currently valid First Aid card with CPR (or ability to obtain certification within 1 month)
- Holds a currently valid MHSA Coaching Certifications and Endorsements.
- Has completed all NFHS Courses.
- Must have a flexible schedule.
Necessary special requirements
- Montana Driver’s license or the ability to obtain license within three months of hire date.
- Position requires working flexible schedules.
- Completion of NFHS Fundamental of Coaching course upon hire. (Course cost is at employee’s own expense)
- Completion of NFHS Concussion in Sports course.
- Completion of Rules Clinic prior to season beginning
Stopwatch, calculator, computer, copy machine, fax machine, telephone/voice mail, score-keeping equipment or other equipment germane to the sport/activity.
Physical and Mental Demands and Work Hazards
- Constantly works around others and works with the public.
- Regularly works outside.
- Outside exposure includes performing the duties in varying weather extremes.
- Ability to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
- The environment can be stressful due to the nature of the work.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Continuously uses hand strength to grasp tools.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds with or without accommodations.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Required to be able to hear conversations in loud and quiet environments.
- The employee frequently works within time constraints and must maintain attentiveness intensity.
- Frequently involved in interactions which require oral and written communications.
- Exercises flexibility and the ability to shift from one task to another.
- Guidance and reinforcement are infrequently available.
- Works within time constraints and maintains attentiveness intensity.
- Involved in social interactions which require oral and written communications.
- Reasoning and exercising judgment are constantly used/required on the job.
- Demonstrates regular attendance performing duties as described.
- Reports to work fit for duty with characteristics inherent to the position.
The duties, physical demands, work-environment characteristics, and mental/motor demands described within this vacancy announcement are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with compliance with the American with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.