The West Virginia University School of Public Health is seeking applications for a Health Data Analyst located in Charleston, WV. This position is responsible for working with the state to leverage their data and support analytic and policy needs, conducting relevant policy and evaluation research, participating in interdisciplinary research and evaluation teams, and providing oversight and support to other data analysts and personnel embedded within the Department for Health and Human Resources.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Serves as a University representative and liaison to the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources for the planning and performance of projects, programs and activities involving health data analytics and program evaluation.
- Work as part of a team to advance the partnership between the West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
- Facilitates communication and efficient collaboration between research partners at the West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the staff of the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
- Oversee and conduct analyses of Medicaid claims data and other state data sources at the direction of the West Virginia University Director of Medicaid Research and Evaluation or other leadership within the Department for Health and Human Resources
- Assist with training other West Virginia University faculty in analyzing Medicaid claims data and other state data sources using SAS or other statistical analysis packages
- Ensures that data analytic and research/evaluation activities are compliant with University-level policies for the responsible conduct of research as well as federal, and state policies.
- Provides consultation to faculty and government partners regarding preparation of research proposals, design and methodology, data analytics and interpretation of results.
- Identifies opportunities for potential collaborations between the Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
- Prepares reports as required by the University, the Health Sciences Center administration, and external agencies. Communicates results of analytic projects and program evaluations with relevant staff of the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
- Master’s level degree in health related field;
- Or an equivalent amount of combined education and work experience
- Two (2) years of record of research and achievement in health outcomes and policy research (health services research, public health informatics, health policy, clinical outcomes) as evidenced by publications and / or sustained involvement in a research program.
- Experience conducting research/evaluation using large health data sources within the healthcare industry or academic or governmental sectors
- Extensive knowledge and experience in utilizing large health databases for research, program evaluation, and policy development.
- Experience analyzing administrative health claims data
- Proficiency in the use of standard statistical analysis packages such as SAS or R
- Ability to project and maintain a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Record of accomplishments in the area of health data analytics.
- Strong ability to communicate goals, methods, and results of research initiatives with key stakeholders.
- Proficiency presenting the results of data analyses to diverse groups of stakeholders
- Valid Driver's License and ability to travel.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.